Was driving and suddenly the AC quit blowing and I then I smelled a burnt electrical smell

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brandon_Lutz

Reaction score
Was driving my 95 K2500 last night and suddenly I started smelling what smelled like burnt electronics and then the AC quit blowing cold. Also, the same time all of this happened, the air started blowing automatically from the vents on the floor instead of the regular AC vents.

Before this happened air was blowing nice and cold and I had no indication there was a problem. Started looking at the system this morning and the compressor appears to still be good as it is not locked up. I can't find any cooked electrical connectors and the relays and fuses are all good. Pulled the lower pressure switch harness off of the a canister and put in a paperclip to make sure the LP switch had not gone out, but no luck.

So far I have no idea what to look at next. The compressor is fairly new as I replaced the AC system in the truck a little over a year ago. (New compressor, accumulator, orifice tube, cleaned the lines, etc..)

Anyone have something similar happen?

Brandon_Lutz

Reaction score
Blend door was working fine before this. Now that I think of it, I have not checked the switch. The control panel was recently replaced, about 4 months ago with a new one after my OEM cracked to pieces. I'll check that next. I didn't think that maybe it was the cause, it would make sense though. Thanks.

Hoplite

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
If anyone runs across the in the future, it was probably a two wire connector (red and black) behind the glove box that uses 12 gauge wire. It runs right next to the cross tube frame thing.

Mine did the same thing and after help on this forum, I was able to find it. Mine basically lost its ground.

Pictures below of burnt connector and the replacement connector I made.

You must be registered for see images attach