Want to keep OE radio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alex33

Reaction score
Hi guys, I recently picked up a 1994 CC Chevy. According the to PO, there was a pretty trick stereo system installed previously. By the time I got the truck, there was just the OE headunit and holes in all the doors and dash. I'd like to get the OE headunit working (power and signal) but I'm having trouble tracing the wires. I tried to pull the headunit but there is no connector behind it and the wiring runs under the dash to who knows where. Any thoughts or ideas on where to look for the wiring? TIA

cjman250

Last Of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
There is a box above the gas pedal under the dash where the wires run to. It's the tuner box and is where the head unit, speakers, and antenna plug in

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Sounds like one of the previous owners really hacked it up rather than doing it right :(

Alex33

Reaction score
Thanks guys!! I'll look this week maybe. On a side note, Old77, are you a mod on TYF? If so, Hi Jacob!!

scotttick

WHO ME?
Reaction score
Usually during the install on one of those model trucks, the tuner was removed and the aftermarket harness tapped into the tuners plug. If the box is gone the factory headunit will not work. If the plug is still down by the gas pedal you can get an aftermarket unit and harness from the local audio store.

Alex33

Reaction score
Thanks Scott. Hopefully the box is still there, I don't want an aftermarket radio in this truck. I want to keep the OE headunit. Of course I'll have to see what my options are once I poke around down there.

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thanks guys!! I'll look this week maybe. On a side note, Old77, are you a mod on TYF? If so, Hi Jacob!!

Yes sir....hey man :wave: