Vortec Heads, need help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I found a used Edelbrock 3704 TBI intake, cheap. Any recommendations on a good set of heads that'll work better than stock and vortec?

Summit racing has their house brand aluminum centerbolt heads, or trick flow centerbolt heads that will work with your stock intake manifold or that Edelbrock 3704. Either of those heads will make more HP than a stock vortec head. The only other option I've read about is the CH350G from Enginequest (EQ). It's a cast iron replacement for TBI heads, but without the swirl ramp in the intake port and it has a Vortec style combustion chamber.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Ummm, anyone who doesn't know (most everyone here apparently), listen up. Vortec castings are good for 450 horses with the stock ports and valves. Just a cam and springs, with the complementary parts will give you more power for dollar than anything mentioned in this thread. It is such a myth that you need to spend big time $$ on aftermarket junk to get something better. Don't take it from me if you don't want to, but before you consider yourself informed, read all 900+ posts about it for yourself. http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56505

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm trying to plan a rebuild for my 1992 K1500 with a 350. Im.not wanting to build a monster, just something with a bit more heart. So here is what I've come up with:

Vortec Heads
Summit Racing TBI intake to Vortec Heads
Stock Exhaust manifolds

I know I need to be looking towards a good cam and an upgraded TBI.

I've found a few Vortec Heads on craigslist, but honestly, I'm lacking knowledge on whether or not they're good or bad. My brother in law runs his own car repair shop and he'll be doing my rebuild, not me.

Getting back to the heads, can y'all educate me on what I should look for, steer clear from, what's a decent price and whether or not they should be assembled.

If the OP is sticking with TBI and stock exhaust manifolds, he's never going to see the north side of 350hp, much less 450hp. Any of the options I listed would make for an easier install, without having to swap out the stock intake manifold and deal with the TBI to carb manifold adapters, or figuring out which throttle cable, cruise control, and TV cable brackets will work with the new setup. The vortec heads would definitely be cheaper, but add in a new intake manifold, TBI adapter, and the time and frustration of trying to figure out all the brackets and you're a lot closer to that $1000 set of heads from summit or the others that just bolt on. They're easier, not necessarily better, or cheaper.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Somehow seeking advice on sourcing decent used heads turned into $1200 worth of aftermarket heads instead. That's a bit of a stretch.

arrg

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
True, but we left used heads for new heads at post #3. Just giving the OP options. He can spend his money however he wants.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'll toss this out there. By time you scrounge up a set of vortecs then drop them at the machine shop for cleaning, magniflux, valve job, surfaced, maybe a few valves, guide or seatwork etc. Around here that's a $400 bill minimum, not including springs, in some tired old castings. Sure makes the stock replacement vortecs or Summit/ Jeg's branded EQ's a smokin' deal already set up for more lift with a little better spring.

The combo Burb put up is a good daily driver/ tow rig combo

J Thomas

Reaction score
To be honest, I'm not out to make a beast of a motor. I'm unsure what's best because I stuck on what to do about whether to switch to carb or stay TBI. After researching and looking around, I believe my best bet will be to go with a new set of heads.