Vortec Engine to TBI Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why don't you use a fitech system. It's a tbi efi. I think the 400hp model is like $300. I have the 600hp series. Works beautifully. Everything is tunable so you will learn tuning.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Why don't you use a fitech system. It's a tbi efi. I think the 400hp model is like $300. I have the 600hp series. Works beautifully. Everything is tunable so you will learn tuning.

Where did you find it that cheap? When I looked on their website, the 400hp version was $795.

Bret

Reaction score
I have both a Vortec and a TBI water pump readily available for photos. There may be other versions of either, this is what I had.

You must be registered for see images

Note that the belt is closer to the engine (lower in the photo) on the Vortec than on the TBI. The pulley attachment is different, and the fan clutch attachment is different. This could be a problem, although GM may have other variations of water pump for TBI (Camaro, Caprice, Vans, who knows what else) that could interchange dimensionally with the Vortec pump.

This is the Vortec block I'll be using on my TBI pickup. Haven't drilled the timing cover bolt holes (2) yet.

As long as the water pump nipple is an "inlet" and not an "outlet" that would work--and could save you some fabricating. I was going to look at the two nipples on the Vortec pump to see how they were plumbed, but I forgot.

Decide if you want to retain the EGR before buying a manifold.

Those pictures are awesome, I appreciate that, it definitely clarifies a lot of what everyone been saying. I think keeping the stock water pump will still be in my best interests so I can keep the serpentine setup. For the water bypass, I've been using this picture to try and see my options:
You must be registered for see images attach

Based on this, I think routing a bypass as if it was a heater core would work. I wont be running a heater core on this car. I also wont be running any emissions, so I'm not worried about the EGR or anything like that.

If it goes on sale for that price, I'll get it in a heartbeat! Their GoStreet 400hp FI System is around $800 right now.

Heres how i run my water pump bypass.
You must be registered for see images attach
That's exactly what I was thinking, I think that would work best for me, I would just be skipping the heater core as I wont be running one.

Fro what its worth, in a system that never had EFI it would be easier and cheaper in the long run to go with an aftermarket 4bbl setup like fitech. Or if you are really set on TBI, these guys make a complete setup for converting carb cars.https://www.affordable-fuel-injection.com/product/chevrolet-tbi-complete-system/
I'm by no means dead set on Chevy's factory TBI, it just seems to be the most affordable set up I can find as long as I do a lot of DIY, which I honestly enjoy and don't mind. For the price of that affordable-fuel-injection set, I'd definitely just go Holley or FItech. I've been basing the assumptions about using Chevy's setup based on sources like this: Gearhead-efi.com
I have a junkyard just around the corner from me that always has these TBI trucks, and I have no problems junkyard diving and wiring a majority of the system myself, most of which I imagine could translate to an aftermarket setup later on.
For now, I already have a 650cfm 4bbl edelbrock that's on the current engine that I will be moving over to this one once it's in the car.

Reaction score
Found my instillation instructions from when i did my swap. The last page is of relevance on the water pump bypass ordeal.

Attachments

• edl-7116-sbc_vortec_rpm_manifold.pdf
    134.3 KB · Views: 19

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where did you find it that cheap? When I looked on their website, the 400hp version was $795.

Wow, those things went up in price. When they first came out they were cheap. My 30001 was 899 and it's 600hp with full software. Get a price from your local speed shop. I went through Gear Heads here and they had really good pricing.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
I know I like stock-ish GM TBI stuff for daily drivers because parts are plentiful. Even if everything goes wrong...I'm on a road trip, several states away, on a Sunday, I can quick swap a part in the parking lot and get home.

The higher end DIY EFI systems seem to run all name-brand GM-style sensors, but the sensors on the cheaper stuff is what I don't recognize. Aftermarket stuff is nice (provided you spend the money where it counts), but OE stuff is mighty reliable!

F Costello

Reaction score
Stop over thinking this swap i did it years ago and still driving daily.
2000 5.7 in a 91
Use a edelbrock swap intake and original pump for your truck no problem at all.
If you keep egr then vortec exhaust manifolds or headers for a vortec with egr provisions. Junk the pull brackets and use some from a s10 with 4.3 .
I've been driving this way since 2008
Not one problem other than part failure from age.

Bret

Reaction score
Wow, those things went up in price. When they first came out they were cheap. My 30001 was 899 and it's 600hp with full software. Get a price from your local speed shop. I went through Gear Heads here and they had really good pricing.
That's a good idea checking out a speed shop, I'm currently living in southern California, so there should be no shortage of em.

Also, just noticed I put the wrong manufacturer of my 3 Speed, it's actually a Saginaw, not a Muncie!