Viper (DEI) vs Compustar DIY

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mr98z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all, I've installed a few DEI remote start/security systems in the past for friends and family. All of which are still working great, now it's time to install one in my own vehicle. Any input on Viper vs Compustar for a diy? I like DEI because I can change settings with or without the bitwriter, is Compustar the same, do I need a account to activate a Compustar? How diy friendly are they and is it worth switching over after having good luck with DEI?

Kran

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i used to have viper in a previous vehicle but am now running compustar in my tahoe. good friend of mine that has been a dealer for both companies for 15+ years says he no longer carries DEI/Viper products due to the laborious install, 100+ amps of unnecessary fusing, and issues with vehicles just shutting off while driving. Compustar is easier all around and more compact. he had mine done in like 1.5 hours, alarm, window/tilt/shock sensors, and remote start lol.

i unfortunately dont know if you need an account to activate compustar products

edit: goofed up

Last edited:

blacksport

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i used to have viper in a previous vehicle but am now running compustar in my tahoe. good friend of mine that has been a dealer for both companies for 15+ years says he no longer carries Viper products due to the laborious install, 100+ amps of unnecessary fusing, and issues with vehicles just shutting off while driving. DEI is easier all around and more compact. he had mine done in like 1.5 hours, alarm, window/tilt/shock sensors, and remote start lol.

i unfortunately dont know if you need an account to activate compustar products
i'm confused you said "he no longer carries Viper products due to the laborious install" but then you finish up with "DEI is easier all around and more compact. he had mine done in like 1.5 hours, alarm, window/tilt/shock sensors, and remote start"

dei = https://www.directed.com/brands

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Yeah... DEI is Viper, along with a bunch of other brands.

Kran

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
sorry my fault, i meant he no longer carries Viper/DEI and carries only Compustar. will edit my post