uuuggg, yall had as much trouble as me removing your bed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Where to begin, well first off YES I have removed beds before, but never have I had this much trouble or run into these problems. It's on my 88 k1500 short bed and yea somebodys been in there before, normally that'd mean it's easier to take off due to rust and it being removed once right? wrong. One bolt was missing by the gas tank where you can't see or get your hand in YAY!! made it easy for me, the DS 2nd one up from the rear is broke off, heads gone, no biggie, the fronts came out and the other side came out, but then we get to the back 2, oh joy oh joy. I got a hitch on mine, mounts to the lower frame and blocks the hole in the bottom of the frame that allows you to go straight up from the bottom with an extension, so I try to remove it, 3 bolts came out, one is stripped, damnit. The Ds had 19mm heads and 3/4 nuts, the PS had a 3/4 head 3/4 nut, and the back was 19mm or supposed to be and 3/4 nut, the supposed 19mm head was rounded off, and they all had thick steel plates like 1x1 inch instead of washers and on that side one was missing and a washer was in it's place. Well the thing is hanging in by one bolt of course, I can move it by hand enough with force to get it out of the way and get the DS rear bolt, sounds good right? it would if the bumper bracket wasn't in my way!!!!!!!!! The thing is pulled too far out so the big hole comes up by the head and won't let you get a socket on it. PS is the same way, well I figure take the bumper off right? Yea I wished, started on that, the 2 upper bolts on the outer brackets the welded nuts on the back came loose and started spinning and I tried to get in there and get a wrench on them, couldn't find anything to work, need a short stubby 18mm or a single offset, and mine was double offset(one offset on each end opposite of one another), one inner bolt wouldn't come loose, using impact on all this stuff and liquid wrench. PS I got off except for the little 15mm bolt on the very front of the inner bracket it wouldn't come off, now you're probably thinking why'd I try to get the bracket loose at the bumper? Some sombitch welded the outer brackets to the frame. You talk about being mad, they did the front of them and the PS were a bolt was missing. The rear bed bolt head has been spot welded to the bumper bracket too!!!!!!! I'm about to start rednecking it and cut something up. All this BS just so I can put on new cab corners and clean/paint the frame, looks like that might not happen and I have to ghetto fab some tin over my cab corners. I gotta get an inspection sticker by the end of sept. and it won't pass with rust holes, so it might sit parked lol.

barebones 1500

I'm That Guy
Reaction score
i would cut all the old bolts and put all new hardend bolts in. that would make removal easier and if you have to do it again later you know what is where and it is fresh too.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea something is gonna get cut today. I got one big bumper bracket bolt holding the DS and one small one on the PS, gonna break out the big air compressor for some more psi and try it out, also gonna cut that hitch bolt off and get it out of there, might not put the hitch back on don't know. I never use it anyways. Might be something to sell and make a buck on. I wonder how I can tell what class it is?

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well the hitch bolt is off, so hitch is removed, one bumper bolt cut off. I got one bolt on each side holding the brackets to the frame, small one on the PS and big one on the DS, still got the 2 bed bolts in back to get loose, and the 2 bolts on the bumper that are spinning the welded nuts, so gotta work on those still.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
bed is finally loose. After another days work on it, it's ready to pull, unless I forgot something. I picked up each side one at a time about a foot or so with no problems so I don't think i forgot anything. We'll see soon. I never got the bumper off, but don't need to, might anyways to clean and paint maybe undercoat the backside of it. I have to cut me down a wrench to fit in there and make it a stubbie. Now I just gotta break out the picker and see if my straps will hold or build me a big h or whatever out of wood to give a good anchor point to raise it up level.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I hear ya on pulling the bed off. We ran into some snags getting the bed off mine took us about 4-5 hours to get it completely unbolted. Let me tell ya the longbed is a heavy son of a *****!!! Not looking forward to putting it back on.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOl pulling it off went alright with the help of a good friend. except for me almost taking out my gate and the bedside lol.

Should have some pics up soon there me and big mack daddy pulled her off tonight. Well yesterday since it's after 12 now LOL.

Still gotta take it out and smoke the tires off with the bed off.

PS, old man said crank the back strap more, even if it's after we start lifting it and it'll level out, gonna try it next time, but it wasn't too bad.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yeah we didn't have any thing to lift the bed off except our brute strength LOL. It took 3 off us to get it off there and it wasn't easy. I'm definitely gonna grab a couple extra guys when it comes time to put it back on.