Under hood lamp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chevytruck98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So ive got an issue here, my underhood lamp doesnt turn off when i shut my hood. It stays on. Im just curious could the switch be bad that is supposed to turn this off. I was just going to replace the hole lamp. I called gm and they said it is no longer sold. Any one have any idea's on what could be wrong.. or where i could find another one?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Those lights work with a mercury switch. When you open the hood, the mercury rolls back to the contacts to complete the circuit. May need a bit of adjustment. Try bending it down, with the hood open, till it shuts off, then bend it back up a bit till it comes back on. Check to see if it goes off when you close the hood.

dkh_524

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my lamp turns off but when im going down a bumpy road i can see it trun on and off every time i hit the bumps in the road. could this be the same probablem with the switch?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Could be. With a 4by, & a bumpy road, it could be throwing the mercury around so that it's making contact just long enough to make the light turn on. Probably have to bend it down a little more. You can adjust it so that the light just comes on just at the last couple of inches of the hood's opening travel.