ULTIMATE TBI mods stage 1

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The trick I found to installing the FPR with a higher pressure spring(I used the 18lbs spring) is to grab 3 small drill bits and use them as guides. Get the first bolt started and then pull the bit in the diagonal hole. Put thet bolt in and then the other two get easy.

demon858585

Reaction score
Need help. Truck is running extremely lean. With a little help it will start and stay running for a few minutes but then it starts bogging down and dying out. It cuts off as soon as I put it in drive. In the last week I have installed new: fuel pump & filter, injectors, rebuilt tbi, check fuses, and bypassed egr valve (egr hasn't worked for 2 years). I just sucked out the rest of the fuel. I tried to change a o2 sensor but my exhaust doesn't have 1. My next steps are map sensor, knock sensor, then computer. Any thoughts before I go completely bankrupt?
1989 gmc 5.7 350 tbi 4x4 burb

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You have to have an O2 sensor. on your vehicle I believe it is in the drivers side exhaust manifold down by the flange.

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Excellent writeup, i planned on doing something like this, after someone posted about the ultimate TBI mods in my TBI spacers are they worth the money thread.

I am still likely going to do a spacer too, but plan on making itbonly 1/4" to 1/2" thick out of phenolic sheet material, just to isolate, and insulate the TB from getting heat soak off the engine.

Taking the spacer off under the air cleaner looks like it helps too. Less restriction, cleaner shot for airflow. If i could make a auggestion, i would recommend sticking with the stock air cleaner. An open element one is cool looking but when the engine compartment it heated up, all your gains made in the TB will likely be lost by sucking in hot engine air.

I bought a spare air cleaner base and inlet hose at the junkyard. I plan on making mine a stock looking dual snorkle setup like the old 60s muscle cars. Going to cut and weld and have 2 inlets, one going into each fenderwell.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
The stock intake snorkel flows enough air for all engine speeds a TBI will attain. Waste of time and money. If you want to go for it though.

Change the Y pipe...

Moparmat2000

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The stock intake snorkel flows enough air for all engine speeds a TBI will attain. Waste of time and money. If you want to go for it though.

Change the Y pipe...

Aint got nothing but time lol. Air cleaner base and extra hose was free off a truck a buddy was junking. I am thinking i will do the hypertech salad bowl mod to my air cleaner base first before i mess w a dual snorkle.

BTW if your eventually gonna upgrade the engines internals, heads, intake, cam, compression etc, couldent you just run a 454 TB, and just put the 350 injectors in it, and use an AFPR ??

Last edited: