Tyler's DD/plaything

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
It was an option but the gf was nice enough to buy me a $360 set of stainless headers for Christmas. I might as well put them to good use.

sent from a likely flagged smartphone.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Bought a head gasket set today and new spark plugs. Got a cap for The EGR port on the header side. Just need to get a plug for the intake now. Glad that is going away.

Heads, intake, and valve seals got dropped off at the engine shop too. Should be nice and clean by Tuesday. Valves will be checked for leaks and I'll have them grind them if they don't seal. Depending on the damage there I may just order a set of 1.6 rockers. I doubt it because I had some injector tabs snap during removal. That's a $400 repair if they don't lock in or they leak. Apparently there is a new style that is being used where the injector connector is actually a plug right at the nozzle. I haven't messed with fuel injection on this truck before so I may be saying it all wrong. I'm just hoping I don't need a big buck item like that. Air filter is getting ordered right now. Gonna run an AEM dry flow. I'm sick of oiled filters being plugged after one trip to the dunes and cleaning every fall and spring or sooner depending on how many trips I make to the dunes, down dirt roads and trails.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Like I said I doubt I will get them. If anything I'll get new push rods if they don't clean up.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Today was cleaning day. After 252,000 solid miles of combustion buildup, years of oil burning (became obvious lately) and over fueling for who knows is how long I had to clean a crust off the piston heads that was insane. Some of the valve reliefs were completely filled in. Five hours of scraping, wiping and some other ideas and the results surprised the crap out of me.
You must be registered for see images

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
If anyone is interested in my process for cleaning this engine up please let me know. I can post up details for anyone.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
EGR tube block off.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
cut between your primaries!
?

And I finally got word on my heads and intake! Everything checked out great! Valves sealed no problem! Head sealing surface was perfect. Valve seals went in no issue. And it all cleaned up nice. Off to go pick them up soon