tuning and data logging

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
on a 97 your choices are extremely limited. basically tunercats for tuning, and a generic logging software. but tunercats isnt sold publicly anymore...there is something that Jet makes that will tune the '97 PCM, its called DST, but its really kinda piss poor (for lack of a better term), it'll do the tuning, but forget about support, or help tuning, or upgrades to the software, or logging, etc...

the ideal thing for a '97 is to swap it to a 411 PCM, and then get EFILive to tune and log with.

here's an article on how to swap to the 411 if you haven't seen it before:
http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/12200411.html

k_pro1992

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well i'll have to look into the 411 swap then. I dont really understand the whole concept of it though dont really wanna hack into my wiring and the be out of a truck.

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the isn't any hacking with the swap its just moving the pins over from the old connector to a new connector, you will need the PCM tuned before you can start it up though. read that write up, it'll answer alot

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
datalogging is recording input data from various sensors (engine, transmission, external, etc) over time. its part of the tuning process in order to see how the vehicle is reacting to changes in the tune, but it also extremely helpful for troubleshooting and general diagnostics.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
THIS is the main reason I'm so envious of the 96+ vortec trucks. I cannot do this with my TBI 350 correct?

Aloicious

Hired Goon
Supporting Member
Reaction score
how are you able to do this?

I use EFILive and my laptop for logging and tuning.

THIS is the main reason I'm so envious of the 96+ vortec trucks. I cannot do this with my TBI 350 correct?

you should be able to find some kind of generic logging software that can log OBDI stuff, but I doubt it'd have the sophistication of the good OBDII suites.