Trying To Set Ignition Timing, Dist. Won't Turn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jgebauer

Reaction score
Hello,

I recently replaced my distributor with a new one from 1A auto. Checking my timing (Ignition Timing Advance for #1 Cylinder) the computer is telling me I'm at 19 degrees positive. Watched a few videos on how to adjust it, went to do it, & I can't get the distributor to rotate by hand as the tutorials I've watched have been able to do. If I take the hold down bracket bolt completely out I can rotate it, but then the hold down bracket does not line up with the bolt hole as it is seemingly fixed to the dist housing.

Can I slightly loosen the hold down bolt and use a wrench to turn the distributor or will that damage something? Am I screwed? Anyone have experience adjusting a 1A auto with a bracket that is seemingly locked in to position in relation the dist.?

Thanks,

Jared

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is on a vortec, right?

I replaced the one on my 98 with a Summit brand that came with the hold down bracket “attached”, for lack of a better word. I removed it and reused the stock bracket which allows the distributor to rotate with the hold down bolt loosened.

You should be able to easily rotate it by hand.

You’ll need a good scanner or an app (CarGauge Pro is one) to read the CMP Retard. Set it to zero degrees (plus or minus 2) at around 1100-rpm.

Edit: just looked at the part you referenced. That’s the same type bracket that mine came with. Just unclip it.

You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jgebauer

Reaction score
Yup, that's the one. O.K. Dang, I threw away the original bracket. Looks like I'll have to purchase another one.

Thanks for your input.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha, yeah I figured you must have tossed it in the trash.

The GM part number for the clip is 10096197, a dealer might still have them.

I think I read that those fixed brackets were used on some of the 4.3L vehicles, maybe the S10. I guess they sell them with the distributors to make it “universal” or something.

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
By the way, the timing is controlled by the computer so your 19-degrees isn’t what you’re going to be trying to adjust. It’s the camshaft position sensor offset (CMP Retard) that is adjusted to zero degrees by turning the distributor housing.

If it’s out too far, it will throw code P1345.

Jgebauer

Reaction score
Huh. Interesting. I guess my computer doesn't read that. I thought that was the number I am trying to get to 0. She isn't throwing any codes (other than a P0420 cat sys efficiency) so maybe it's o.k.

Thanks again.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, the 4.3 did have a fixed retainer. No need for a new one though, just hog out what you have as that 19 degrees comes quick.