Truck won't start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The timing could be off, when the distributor was installed it might have twisted to far as the gears meshed.

If your getting spark now and weren't before what I would do just to be safe and absolutely sure would be to get #1 on tdc compression and repoint the rotor at cylinder 1.

Use a screw driver to move the oil pump shaft if it isn't in the right spot.

Your doing all the right things and I don't question it.. I think something might have been just a tad off maybe and is worth re-checking atleast.

Sent from my throttle body injected galaxy note3

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or even loosen the distributor hold down and turn it as someone cranks it to get it to ignite something.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well when I'm doing it I'm dealing with limited resources. We were going to use a long flathead but didn't have one. I'm working on it in a parking lot and have left it sitting there for the past few days. My guess is the timing as well but I'm trying to gather every piece of info or possibilities here. Today I'm going to have to get it towed most likely. I appreciate all the help. I will update as soon as I try what you recommended.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless your doing a compression test or cylinder leak down test I wouldn't worry about it. Just as long as #1 piston is at top Dead center on the compression stroke when you point the distributor rotor at it. Your harmonic balancer mark should be on zero aswell

I can link you the procedure if ya need it also.

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright yea I realized after I said that that I don't really need to do all that. Yea a link definently wouldn't hurt. Thanks

Smitty1021

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So removed #1 spark plug. Started slowly rotating the motor with my finger over the plug hole. Waited till no more air was being pushed out and set the rotor where the #1 wire is on the cap. Put everything back together, no luck. Repeated the steps again and after manually turning the motor, the rotor was still in the same spot once I stopped. Tried starting it again, still no luck.

90W7

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Maybe keepinitoldskool is right and the timing chain did jump a few teeth. If you have fuel, air and spark then it's something mechanical.