Truck will not idle long while in gear.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Irongiant

Reaction score
Like it says my truck starts and runs fine. I come to a stop light and it while idle for about 20 - 30 seconds and just shuts off. It will start right back up and off I go.

It's a 1992 K1500 5.7 liter Mostly stock. Shorty headers, TBI mods, 1 inch tb spacer. MSD wires and coil.

Any Ideas of where to start looking testing? Any one else have this Issue?

Its driving me nuts!

94burbk1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does it stay running if you rev it up a little bit while sitting? Could be a bad o2 sensor.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like it says my truck starts and runs fine. I come to a stop light and it while idle for about 20 - 30 seconds and just shuts off. It will start right back up and off I go.

It's a 1992 K1500 5.7 liter Mostly stock. Shorty headers, TBI mods, 1 inch tb spacer. MSD wires and coil.

Any Ideas of where to start looking testing? Any one else have this Issue?

Its driving me nuts!

Update: truck idled all day in park and neutral. Idle for 20-30 seconds in all gears.
When that was happening to my truck, (I also had some high-speed misfire, though) it was the pickup coil in the distributor. The magnet on the coil cracks, and the pickup signal becomes weak. I had random stalling mostly at idle, but sometimes while driving.

Total failure happened 250 miles from home. GM dealer installed new main shaft in distributor.

Could be a bad o2 sensor.
Same vehicle, years after the distributor repair: O2 sensor was old enought that it would drop out of closed-loop at idle. I'd have never known from the way the truck ran except I connected a scan-tool to diagnose something else, and found the sensor wasn't active at idle.

I think you could disconnect the wire from the O2 sensor at idle. The engine shouldn't stall--may or may not set a code.