Truck Stumbles and Dies Shortly after Starting - Possible Electrical??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MTBrotz

Reaction score
Hi everyone, if anyone has any experience with a similar problem I would appreciate any input. I have a 1996 Chevy 2500 4x4 with the 5.7L and a 5 speed. When I start the truck sometimes (maybe every 5th start or so) it seems to stumble and all the lights on the dash flash on and off. This also causes my clock to reset, which leads me to believe it could be electrical?? I have checked the battery cables and they seem to be tight. The service engine light is not on. Thanks in advance!

Tom P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could be that there is a short in your starting circuit somewhere. Might be a good Idea to hook your truck up to a charging system diagnostic tool (most auto parts stores have them and will diagnose for free). It could also tell you if your starter is drawing too much amperage to the point where the battery dies (could be a short in the battery too) which would explain why the truck stumbles when you start it. Just because your battery cables are tight does not mean that there isn't an issue with them that cannot be immediately seen. Get some diagnostics done and see where that gets you.