Truck is going straight but steering wheel is of by 90 degrees, help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
Okay, I think it is the steering wheel being adjusted inproperly. I had my alignment done and before my steering wheel was cocked slightly to the right. The mechanic adjusted something in the steering box, straightened the steering wheel to top center by hand, and then tightened whatever he had adjusted in the steering box.

No differense before and after alignment... The alignment shop said if it had only been of a little, like 12 pointing at 1 an alignment could have fixed it. Wonder what he adjusted in the steering box?

If your steering box is shot you can test pretty easy - just put the wheel in the "center" and turn the truck off. Keep your hands and all pressure off the wheel, and fire the truck up. If it jumps or turns slightly to the right/left when you fire up and the gradually returns, you need to replace your steering box. It's a very common problem with these trucks. It could also explain why you're not getting full turns.

The steering wheel doesn't do anything... only movement is when the lock releases as I turn the key in the ignition (unlocking the steering lock).

I don't think that is accurate in this case. The steering gear/box uses a worm gear in this truck. The grooves are where the steering shaft attaches to the worm gear, but you could still put the worm gear in wrong (which would cause her steering wheel to be off center).

Any way to see if this is the case?

vaporlock

A Girl & Her Truck
Reaction score
you dont take the worm gear off, go lock to lock on your sttering wheel make sure your turns are the same. if not we have to figure out whats off center, you can have a good aligmenet and not a perfect steering wheel, meaning one tierod could be at a longer adjustment than the other so everything shifts slightly causing the steering wheel to be off. thats probable. did they remove the gear box? then improper steering shaft or pitman once again go lock to lock to figure out how many turns and put it right in the middle regardless of steering wheel location. once your dead center where wheels should be straight see if they actually are, if you arent you have one of two issues, steering wheels in the wrong spot or pitman is. at that point id essentially take off your pitman from the cneter link and do the same. lock to lock find center and put it there. take off your steering shaft and put it in the right spot on the gear box. now two of three things are straight, reattach to your centerlink and see if your still properly aligned. if not then its a good chance they aigned it with one tierod in a longer position than the other

The turns are not the same, about a quarter turn more to the left. I don't know if the gear box has been removed or not.
So most likely either the tie rods are adjusted so one is longer than the other, the pitman arm is in the wrong spot or the steering shaft is in the wrong spot. I will check and see what things look like, I'll start with the pitman arm and tie rods, it sounds easier.

did they replace the steering box? or remove it to do a pitman? its not likely the machnic messed with the worm gear theres no use in taking apart the gear box on their end. manufacturer defect sure. but once again, lock to lock, find center, check what posiition your wheel needs to be in for dead center and see where the worm gears spline ends up.

For as long as I've owned the truck the steering box has not been replaced or removed, I don't think the PO replaced it either but I don't know what else he may have done, his ways of fixing things is more ductape and cable ties rather than trying to figure out how to fix things properly.
I will check, thanks!