Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

amsterdam96

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Door lock on the driver's side just started acting up, won't open from the inside or the outside regardless of whether I try it with the switches or with the key. Neither handles work. It could be poor wiring because the original harness is spliced left, right & center and closely resembles spaghetti.
Does anyone have anyone pointers as to what this could be? I'm hesitant to take off the door panels and drill out those rivets, I've read so much about.
If someone could tell me how I can determine if these are the actuators (isn't that ruled out because the key won't open it), if the latch is just 'stuck' or if something else is the culprit (electrical failure, etc.)
Thanks in advance,
Merle

Last edited:

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like a power issue. Does the right side door work normally ? If so then likely the power is interrupted going to the left side door. If I understand it correctly then the power locks work by providing a ground to a powered circuit. Voltmeter will tell you if there is power at the lock solenoid or not . From there you likely will need a wiring diagram. If your harness is butchered it is likely a poorly repaired connection that you might find by exploring. A voltmeter and test light are your friend, as is a shop manual showing how it should be wired. Good luck and let us know what you find .