Power locks not working slow sticking free fix

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The power locks in my 97 k1500 slowly started sticking then not working with the button. Could always manually lock and unlock.

I pulled both front door panels and lubed these 3 areas.
1.Sprayed near the end of door from inside door panel where all the rods run to the locking mechanism (where door latches at striker).
2. Lubed where the rods pass through the plastic guides inside door.
3. This made the greatest improvement. Lubed inside the power door lock actuator and actuated the $hit out of the power locks. The rubber boot was already torn so just sprayed a bunch of lube through the torn boot on both doors.

Locks haven’t worked this fast since new.

Used the below spray. Garage door 3 in 1 lubricant.
You must be registered for see images attach

Attachments

• B0EE024C-CCE4-4A8D-99A0-915B99EE1188.jpeg
    B0EE024C-CCE4-4A8D-99A0-915B99EE1188.jpeg
    187.1 KB · Views: 23
  • 38F9A92A-6EDB-4B55-B362-5774EA78058A.jpeg
    38F9A92A-6EDB-4B55-B362-5774EA78058A.jpeg
    318.6 KB · Views: 22

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
From what I've found on a lot of trucks, the factory lube (appears to be lithium grease) gums up in the plastic slider clips for the rods (#2 in your list.) Cleaning the old stuff off the rods and out of the groove in the clips, then applying some fresh, goes a long way. I'm talking trucks that felt like they were ready to break the key off in the lock went to feeling like new.

Richard

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm talking trucks that felt like they were ready to break the key off in the lock went to feeling like new.
My daughter resembles that remark! She broke the key off years ago until I replaced the locks, actuators, and switches (the passenger side switch was bad too). I too, used lithium grease on the locks as well as the window slides. After that the windows went up and down twice as fast than before. Now with the Viper keyless entry, the door locks work perfectly. :waytogo:

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My locks were still slow until I lubed inside the power lock rubber boot spraying towards actuator.

The old grease on the rods where it goes through plastic was sticky like glue. Cleans that off with carb cleaner and lubed with the 3 n 1

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will see how long it lasts with torn actuator rubber boot allowing dust to enter but i didn’t want to leave doors apart waiting for replacements.

Also seems like you can’t beat original parts these days with all the Chinese crap that’s out there.

I’ll refurbish a OEM GM part if I can instead of buying “new”

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

The power locks in my 97 k1500 slowly started sticking then not working with the button. Could always manually lock and unlock.

I pulled both front door panels and lubed these 3 areas.
1.Sprayed near the end of door from inside door panel where all the rods run to the locking mechanism (where door latches at striker).
2. Lubed where the rods pass through the plastic guides inside door.
3. This made the greatest improvement. Lubed inside the power door lock actuator and actuated the $hit out of the power locks. The rubber boot was already torn so just sprayed a bunch of lube through the torn boot on both doors.

Locks haven’t worked this fast since new.

Used the below spray. Garage door 3 in 1 lubricant.
You must be registered for see images attach
Thanks for the tip. I lubed the rods in the guides, lubed the latch, tried spraying lube into the actuator, lubed the lever, swapped out the latch and rods once and swapped out the actuator twice and the power lock still isn't operating the rods properly. I'll try taking it out, spraying some penetrating oil and then spraying the lithium lube into the actuator. Hopefully, it will work after that.

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. I lubed the rods in the guides, lubed the latch, tried spraying lube into the actuator, lubed the lever, swapped out the latch and rods once and swapped out the actuator twice and the power lock still isn't operating the rods properly. I'll try taking it out, spraying some penetrating oil and then spraying the lithium lube into the actuator. Hopefully, it will work after that.
UPDATE
I did all of that and still my lock isn't operating properly on the driver's side. So I went and ordered a new actuator which I installed today. Still not working right. I only have the actuator connected to the latch. Neither the inside or outside handle is attached and I'm not running the rod through the guide so as to eliminate any possible source of drag. In summary - 4 actuators - one is new, two latches (I have a third latch that I won't be installing but the locking and unlocking function is the same on all three - clicks into the locked or unlocked position without abnormal force) and two sets of rods and still the lock isn't operating properly. Anybody got any ideas? I'm at my wit's end trying to figure this out. TIA

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
UPDATE
I did all of that and still my lock isn't operating properly on the driver's side. So I went and ordered a new actuator which I installed today. Still not working right. I only have the actuator connected to the latch. Neither the inside or outside handle is attached and I'm not running the rod through the guide so as to eliminate any possible source of drag. In summary - 4 actuators - one is new, two latches (I have a third latch that I won't be installing but the locking and unlocking function is the same on all three - clicks into the locked or unlocked position without abnormal force) and two sets of rods and still the lock isn't operating properly. Anybody got any ideas? I'm at my wit's end trying to figure this out. TIA
Could it be a voltage drop problem that is allowing the actuator plunger to move in and out normally in free air but not able to overcome the resistance of the latch? For reference, the truck is an '89 Silverado. I don't believe relays were used for that year, were they?

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Correct, no door lock relays on your truck. The 4 door trucks got 'em, and I can't recall but I think the 95-up interior refresh got 'em in general. Voltmeter should tell you the story. Switch might just be really worn and marginal at this point, too.

Silly question but are you certain you got the rod back into the correct slider clip? I've taken a door apart or two and found someone had twisted the rods up and had the lock and latch rods swapped, causing some issues.

Richard