Transmission motor compatibility?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok guys. I've read all the compatibility threads but still confused. If I have a 93 4x4 with no tranny or motor, can I put the motor and tranny from a 95 2wd in it? Or do I only put the motor and have to get 93 tranny? Is there something physical about the motors that's year specific like a bolt pattern? Or are all motors interchangeable and it's the trannys that are the issue?

Gavin

It Never Ends
Reaction score
The motor and trans will bolt in fine. I'm using a 96' motor in a 94' chassis and I'm using all 94' sensors; I'm running a manual so I don't know what if anything is required to transfer over for your trans other than getting a transfer case/tail housing. Hopefully someone with some real knowledge will chime in.

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
Motor will physically bolt in fine. 4wd to 2wd is where your issues will start. Output shaft on the 2wd is longer, you would have to swap it out.

You can, with a bit of work, convert your 4wd to a 2wd. But why would you want to.

The next obstacle it the wiring harness and computer. What engine did it come with vs what are you putting in. 4.3 to SBC or BBC will require you to rewire and get a new computer. Best to just pull it all from your donor truck.

The thread on all the differences between 4l60 transmissions by years. 93 to 95 has a few differences.
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/the-real-differences-in-700r4-4l60-4l60e-transmissions-by-year.26587/

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Motor will physically bolt in fine. 4wd to 2wd is where your issues will start. Output shaft on the 2wd is longer, you would have to swap it out.

You can, with a bit of work, convert your 4wd to a 2wd. But why would you want to.

The next obstacle it the wiring harness and computer. What engine did it come with vs what are you putting in. 4.3 to SBC or BBC will require you to rewire and get a new computer. Best to just pull it all from your donor truck.

The thread on all the differences between 4l60 transmissions by years. 93 to 95 has a few differences.
http://www.gmt400.com/threads/the-real-differences-in-700r4-4l60-4l60e-transmissions-by-year.26587/

I'm going from 2wd to 4wd (not 4 to 2). I've read that post several times but I still don't feel comfortable with my understanding of it. Seems like to get different years to work with different years, you have to swap out all sorts of internals and on and on.

Let me re-word my original question and see if maybe you can figure out if it'll work....

I have a 95/2wd/reg cab truck with motor and tranny. All stock.

I'm looking at buying a 93/4wd/ext cab truck with no motor or tranny. It has the transfer case still.

Can I use either my motor or tranny from the 95 in the 93?

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
93 and 94 4l60e are the only years that will directly work with each other. 95 went to a pwm lockup strategy. The difference is basically in the chip in the pcm. You can get a new chip burned to turn off a 95 or later pwm strategy for a on/off strategy like a 93 and 94. That's all there is to it as for as the pcm goes. Or you can turn on the pwm lockup to be used in an earlier model as long as the trans is set up for pwm, but the harness in the 93 does not have the pin on the connector for the trans. I would delete the pwm strategy as it's no good in my opinion and stick with the on/off as the 93-94. So yes you can use both motor and trans and if you need a chip burned for it let me know.

The 95 connector on the trans will have another pin for the pwm lockup strategy, but as I mentioned the 93 won't have the pin in harness. However, it will still plug in just fine.

Last edited:

Tavi

Vehicle enthusiasts
Reaction score
I'm going from 2wd to 4wd (not 4 to 2). I've read that post several times but I still don't feel comfortable with my understanding of it. Seems like to get different years to work with different years, you have to swap out all sorts of internals and on and on.

Let me re-word my original question and see if maybe you can figure out if it'll work....

I have a 95/2wd/reg cab truck with motor and tranny. All stock.

I'm looking at buying a 93/4wd/ext cab truck with no motor or tranny. It has the transfer case still.

Can I use either my motor or tranny from the 95 in the 93?

With the information you provided; the simple answer is yes on the engine, no on the transmission.

Converting a 2wd transmission to 4wd is not for the novice.

joep88cheyenne

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The maim issue is the 95 tranny is controlled differently then the 93 is wired.

Other thing is setting the trans case up with the tranny. May be easier to get a 4wd tranny and hook to the engone and transfer case.

davidfite1978

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. Sounds like at the very least I can re-use my engine just fine, and I'll either have some work to do on the trans/pcm/wiring side, or just get a 93 4x4 trans. I was thinking this would be the opportune time to do a manual swap so may just go that route, assuming I can get the truck. Thanks!

Stokes1114

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's much simpler than any of that. Get rid of the pwm and a new chip programmed.