Transmission diag hwlp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James Archer

Reaction score
So I'm currently in the process of redoing my 89 k1500 350. I have the 700r4 trans. I've noticed it was shifting a little hard so I replaced the tranny fluid, filter And gasket. Noticed that two bolts where missing out of the pan and yes it does drip a little bit. Ordered a whole new pan and gasket for it but before I got a chance to do that. I took it to local amco to have it looked at. They told me the trans was fine after test driving it twice that the motor had a misfire due to the 02 sensor and they refused to replace it for me cause they couldn't get it out. So I replaced the 02 myself. And drove it to dinner one night. On the way home leaving a stop light the trans popped into neutral and stayed there as I went to D, N, 2,1 then when I went to park it caught and was able to put it back into OD to get it home.

I've been contemplating on rebuilding or replacing the trans but pricing it all out it's a little out of my price range right now. And with the weather change and snow I need the 4WD to get to and from work. Was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on if I have a simple problem that I'm overthinking or does it need a rebuild/replace. From what I understand the guy who I bought out from replaced motor and trans less than 30k miles ago.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
30k is very low for any tranmission. But who knows what type of tranmission was put in? Do you?

I would find a good shop, not one of those chain type tranmission repair shops.

Where are you located?

When you dropped your oil pan, how did it look? Did you see any metal glitter? A bit of black paste-like material on the magnet is okay, but chunks are not. Burnt smelling oil is also a bad sign. Is the filter installed correctly?

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dont believe a word that aamco or any other tranny mill tells you.
A 700r4 is very sensitive when it comes to the throttle cable (tv cable) adjustment.
Yes, it could be smoked
It happens pretty quick if the tv cable is wrong.
But, there are a whole lotta steps to take first before you decide that.
Start with the tv cable and adjustments.
And never ever take your truck to the transmission puppy mills.
They are all full of ****.
Dig deep into how a 700r4 works and the known problems with them
Stuck servos, stuck valves etc..
Lots of info available.
Learn all you can about it before you give some schmuck a couple of grand to make it worse.
It might be toast, but it might not be too.

James Archer

Reaction score
30k is very low for any tranmission. But who knows what type of tranmission was put in? Do you?

I would find a good shop, not one of those chain type tranmission repair shops.

Where are you located?

When you dropped your oil pan, how did it look? Did you see any metal glitter? A bit of black paste-like material on the magnet is okay, but chunks are not. Burnt smelling oil is also a bad sign. Is the filter installed correctly?
I guess it was a 700R4 cause that's what this year came with and the trans shop confirmed it for me. I did find a really good shop that my grandfather and all his hot rod friends use but the wanted 3,000 to pull and rebuild. Yes the filter is installed right with the new o-ring. The magnet was full of glitter and no metal chunks. Also I'm in New Jersey

You must be registered for see images attach

James Archer

Reaction score
Dont believe a word that aamco or any other tranny mill tells you.
A 700r4 is very sensitive when it comes to the throttle cable (tv cable) adjustment.
Yes, it could be smoked
It happens pretty quick if the tv cable is wrong.
But, there are a whole lotta steps to take first before you decide that.
Start with the tv cable and adjustments.
And never ever take your truck to the transmission puppy mills.
They are all full of ****.
Dig deep into how a 700r4 works and the known problems with them
Stuck servos, stuck valves etc..
Lots of info available.
Learn all you can about it before you give some schmuck a couple of grand to make it worse.
It might be toast, but it might not be too.

That's what I'm trying to piece together now. I've priced out new trans options, DIY rebuilds and the one qoute from the shop. The night it gave me issues I just parked it and forgot about it. Got a little bit of snow today and our little Chevy Cruze wasn't happy. To be honest I'm kinda hoping it's a quick fix or at least patch till spring time so I can fully replace the whole drivetrain.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess it was a 700R4 cause that's what this year came with and the trans shop confirmed it for me. I did find a really good shop that my grandfather and all his hot rod friends use but the wanted 3,000 to pull and rebuild. Yes the filter is installed right with the new o-ring. The magnet was full of glitter and no metal chunks. Also I'm in New Jersey

You must be registered for see images attach
Now that I see that, something has deffinitly gone wrong.
Thats a lot of metal really look like serious damage for a 30k trans.
Hope im wrong

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score