Transmission Cooler??????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggieman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yea im pretty positive it already does but i would just like extra insurance that its safe i mean could it actually be to cool? and what shift kit do you recommend

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
my friend has 2 trans filters, one remote a depper trans pan and a hugggeeee oil cooler dont know what its from but its about the size of his condenser. he tows a 5th wheel its the original trans with about 250k on it or some ridiculous number. so yes a cooler is cheap and recomended insurance even if its a smaller one.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
what shift kit do you recommend

Transgo, B&M, they both make kits. There's probably others, but those are the ones I've used & am familiar with. One kit will usually give you a choice between 3 different shift firmnesses. Basically all those really are is some stiffer springs within the valve body in order to get the trans to shift quicker between the gears. There's other parts involved too. Depending on the trans, the valve body may need a hole or two drilled out & larger check balls installed. The last time I had my 4L60e rebuilt, the guys in the shop did all that as part of the job. Cheap insurance for them. Avoids warranty rebuilds. I've added shift kits to turbo 350's & 400's on my back in the driveway in a couple of hours. Pro's with a hoist, less than 1/2 of that.

redchevy914x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Number one killer of transmissions is heat. A cooler is cheap insurance. I'd also be inclined to add a shift kit. Not one of those 'snap-your-neck-n-chirp-the-tires' kits, but one for towing & RV applications. The less time a trans spends slipping the clutches between one gear & the next, means that less heat is created within the trans. 4L60e's & 80e's can be reprogrammed somewhat via the computer. (the 'e' stands for electronically controlled)

I agree 100%. My transmission was built with all HD components including a shift kit. It definately shifts gears quick. As far as the gauge, you can find them as low as probably $40 bucks. The autometer phantom was like $80 I think but a super easy install with the deep pan that already has a port for the gauge.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
IMO i would find an OEM transmission cooler at the boneyard, flush it out and buy 2 new cooler lines to the transmission. Much better than any of that cut and splice aftermarket stuff.

Here is my OEM external oil cooler & lines. The transmission cooler is the same setup just a bit shorter and mounts on the passenger side.
You must be registered for see images attach

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
IMO i would find an OEM transmission cooler at the boneyard, flush it out and buy 2 new cooler lines to the transmission. Much better than any of that cut and splice aftermarket stuff.

Here is my OEM external oil cooler & lines. The transmission cooler is the same setup just a bit shorter and mounts on the passenger side.

That looks suspiciously like my diesel's engine oil cooler. Even mounted on the same side.......;)

Liking the PS cooler too!

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Good eye BJ. That is indeed an external cooler identical to yours (it's from a 95 6.5L to be exact) although most 454 trucks had the exact same one and a few early years of 350s had them as an option as well. I bought the cooler lines for the external mounted 350 cooler.

PS cooler is factory to this truck. I think most trucks had one - although looking back at a picture of my 99 6.5L it didn't.... odd.

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Good eye BJ. That is indeed an external cooler identical to yours (it's from a 95 6.5L to be exact) although most 454 trucks had the exact same one and a few early years of 350s had them as an option as well. I bought the cooler lines for the external mounted 350 cooler.

PS cooler is factory to this truck. I think most trucks had one - although looking back at a picture of my 99 6.5L it didn't.... odd.

Neither does my 98....