Transfer Case Troubles on '94 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Charles C

Reaction score
Okay, so I'm fairly new to working on my truck and had the 4x4 go out on me. When I shift into 4wd, it grinds the hell out of itself and won't lock the front axles. I was told it could be the actuator, and I'm currently strapped for cash. Any advice will help.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Are you shifting it into 4wd while its in park (if auto) or neutral and vehicle stopped (if manual)?

and the front actuator is a common problem with various solutions depending on your budget and needs for the truck.

Eeyore

Reaction score
Jack the right front up so the wheel/tire can spin freely (put it on a jack stand so you can get under the truck). Unscrew the actuator and use a socket wrench handle or extension inside the actuator socket to push the actuator towards the diff. while spinning the tire with the other hand.

It should lock up in just a few degrees of tire rotation. If it doesn't, the slider is buggered, if it does, the actuator is probably bad. If it locks up and the noise is coming from inside the diff, just replace the whole thing.

I bought an entire front diff for mine for only $125, so it's not worth worrying about a whole lot.