Trans Temperature gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MBRZ71

Reaction score
I have a trans temperature gauge installed and I'm just wondering how hot should I start to worry and what is fairly normal operating temperatures? The gauge doesn't really have a red line or anything.

I normally don't see it above 160 driving around town but going up a mountain it climbed up to about 185 on a fairly cool day.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a trans temperature gauge installed and I'm just wondering how hot should I start to worry and what is fairly normal operating temperatures? The gauge doesn't really have a red line or anything.

I normally don't see it above 160 driving around town but going up a mountain it climbed up to about 185 on a fairly cool day.
185 is fine but you dont want it getting too much hotter than that. 200 and beyond is not good, IMO. Install a large capacity pan and cooler to mitigate heat-related issues.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Where is your temperature sensor installed? FWIW, I have one installed in the test port. But, I can also read temperature from factory sensor with Dash Command. The test port sensor typically reads about 10-15° lower. This is in a 4L60e.

DSinOR

Reaction score
... But, I can also read temperature from factory sensor with Dash Command.
Hey Caman, how do you do this?
I have a '96 5.7 4wd 4L60E.
I have Dash Command on my phone.
It works with my blue plastic OBDII gizmo. I have used it to set CKP Cam retard.

But I don't see transmission temp as an available PID.

Got any tips?

Thanks!

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It works with my blue plastic OBDII gizmo. I have used it to set CKP Cam retard.

Got any tips?

Thanks!
TFT sensor is in the 1996 4l60e , its also on the OBD2 broadcast, but I dont remember what it calls it in the menus. TFT is the possible name it may use for what it is. it should follow, gernall, engine running temp, but ideally lower

Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) sensor is a negative coefficient thermistor within Transmission Fluid Pressure (TFP) position switch. TFP is also referred to as Pressure Switch Assembly (PSA). TFT sensor controls signal voltage from PCM. PCM provides a 5 volt reference to sensor on TFT sensor signal circuit. When transmission fluid is cold, sensor resistance is high, and PCM detects high signal voltage. As transmission fluid temperature increases, sensor resistance decreases and voltage decreases. At normal operating temperature of 212°F (100°C), voltage is about 1.5-2 volts. Check sensor for shifted calibration by using sensor TEMPERATURE-TO-RESISTANCE VALUES table. DTC P0712 detects a continuous short to ground in TFT sensor signal circuit or TFT sensor.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Got any tips?

Thanks!
Open your PIDs, under “General”, check off TFT, as @AuroraGirl points out.

You must be registered for see images attach

DSinOR

Reaction score
Thanks!

A friend in town connected a scantool to my Yukon yesterday, the only odd thing he saw was -38° trans fluid temp.

I need to plan a job to drop the pan and have a look at things. Does anyone know the name of the sensor plate that has the temperature sensor on it?

Last edited:

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks!

A friend in town connected a scantool to my Yukon yesterday, the only odd thing he saw was -38° trans fluid temp.

I need to plan a job to drop the pan and have a look at things. Does anyone know the name of the sensor plate that has the temperature sensor on it?
Pressure switch manifold assembly - the silver flat thing next to the filter.
You must be registered for see images attach

Buy an OEM AC Delco or Rostra brand PSMA...

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks!

If that's the case your converter is never gonna lock up.

On a 4L80 the sensor lives in the trans harness, random fact.

MBRZ71

Reaction score
Where is your temperature sensor installed? FWIW, I have one installed in the test port. But, I can also read temperature from factory sensor with Dash Command. The test port sensor typically reads about 10-15° lower. This is in a 4L60e.
The wire from the gauge looks like it runs near the top of the transmission housing on the drivers side. Good to know I can double check it on the computer diagnostics.