Trans Temp Gauge

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kamd90Chevy

Suthrn1
Reaction score
hey guys, i have a 90 RCSB with the 5.7 and 700r4. im about to get the trans rebuilt and i would like to install a trans temp gauge to keep a better eye on the trans with this hot cali weather. i believe it could make a difference if i could see what going on. my question is, is there somewhere i can hook to already on these trans' or do i have to tap into something existing? or what. i searched on here but didnt find any results to this so far. any help would be much appreciated.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the drivers side of the trans there is a test port you can put the temp sensor in. It is a 1/4 NPT plug, and is in behind the shifting linkage.

blownfarmtruck

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is a topic that has several different answers. I personlly install them in-line with exit line, as close to the trans as possible(the line that goes from the trans to the cooler). This give me a acurate reading of fluid tempature thats in the transmission before it cools. Its your fluid you wanna watch the temp on, not the transmission its self. Like i said, alot of people have different opinions on this and im sure someone wil disagree with me, but to each his own. I have not actually ever heard of useing the test port. Thats a little high up on the trans to get a proper fluid reading i would think.

RyanMerrick

8 Lug
Reaction score
This is a topic that has several different answers. I personlly install them in-line with exit line, as close to the trans as possible(the line that goes from the trans to the cooler). This give me a acurate reading of fluid tempature thats in the transmission before it cools. Its your fluid you wanna watch the temp on, not the transmission its self. Like i said, alot of people have different opinions on this and im sure someone wil disagree with me, but to each his own. I have not actually ever heard of useing the test port. Thats a little high up on the trans to get a proper fluid reading i would think.

Do the manual transmissions have cooling lines?

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did mine the first time with a brass block and fittings....cut the hard line going into the radiator. This time I bought a deep trans pan from TCI. It has a bung already in it. Super clean and its supposed to be there. I like the pan idea much better.

trailer-trash

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep thats the one...haha...I dont think it was quite that much a few years back. But I will say....there are other benefits. No more gasket issues since it is O-ring. AAAAAANNNNNDDDDD you get a drain plug..which makes life amazing.

91Bluestreak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm running the Derale trans pan witch has both a drain and a bung for the sensor plus cooling tubes.

I wanted the TCI one but $$$$