trans shifting really hard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redneckchevy90

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
so I posted earlier about my 90 going in for intake manifold gaskets. I had the shop install a TB spacer also. I noticed now that it takes a little longer for the 1-2 shift,and when it does shift it s really hard.. almost like a shift kit is in there. could I possibly have a shift kit in or is the TV cable too tightly adjusted.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
He probably didnt adjust it after hw did the tb spacer

Sent from my SPH-M820-BST using Tapatalk

outalne94z71

Bouncing Truck Maker
Reaction score
just did a quick search and found this.

The proper way of adjusting the TV cable is to find where the cable goes thru the backet that mounts to the intake, just behind the carb. Where it goes thru, there is a plastic housing that the cable passes thru. On the top, or inside of it, there is a plastic button that may take some effort, but is "push-able". Where the cable goes thru the plastic housing, the inner portion of it is moveable, with small teeth on the side that the button is on. While pushing the button in, push this inner portion all the way back towards the transmission. Then get in the car, and put the gas pedal all the way to the floor once. (This adjustment should be performed with the vehicle off ;-)

When you floor it, the throttle linkage on the carb pulls the cable out till it is fully extended. When it gets fully extended it then pulls the inner portion of the "adjustment housing" with it. This is the proper setting for a TV cable on a normal, overdrive, transmission. If the transmission slips with that setting, then you have more problems beyond the TV cable. If you feel you need to make adjustments, it is only recommended you adjust it in or out by one or two teeth max.

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One note when you push the accelerator to the floor do it slowly, I have seen people push the pedal down fast and cause the inner part of the cable to ratchet all the way out at once, if you do it slowly it will ratchet out like it's supposed to.

mrlousi7

Reaction score
hi guys. i have a 1994 Chevy k1500. i have a 350 built for it that has all new internals with a 20 over bore and a low end cam. heads were redone and have all new parts also. my trans is going though and i want to rebuild it. i found 2 kits and i cant decide which to choose. and if anyone here can tell me any other kits to check out i would really appreciate it. ill put the links to both up. thanks guys