trans shifting really hard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just did a quick search and found this.

The proper way of adjusting the TV cable is to find where the cable goes thru the backet that mounts to the intake, just behind the carb. Where it goes thru, there is a plastic housing that the cable passes thru. On the top, or inside of it, there is a plastic button that may take some effort, but is "push-able". Where the cable goes thru the plastic housing, the inner portion of it is moveable, with small teeth on the side that the button is on. While pushing the button in, push this inner portion all the way back towards the transmission. Then get in the car, and put the gas pedal all the way to the floor once. (This adjustment should be performed with the vehicle off ;-)

When you floor it, the throttle linkage on the carb pulls the cable out till it is fully extended. When it gets fully extended it then pulls the inner portion of the "adjustment housing" with it. This is the proper setting for a TV cable on a normal, overdrive, transmission. If the transmission slips with that setting, then you have more problems beyond the TV cable. If you feel you need to make adjustments, it is only recommended you adjust it in or out by one or two teeth max.

I just did a vortec head swap on my 90 TBI truck, and after getting a new intake and a 1" TBI-to-4 barrel adapter and running the Edelbrock throttle bracket, I had to pull pretty hard on the TV cable to get it to snap onto the linkage. In fact, the air cleaner has about 1/4" clearance with the hood. I have floored it, and its still real tight. There isnt any slack to push back into the cable. I would rather not blow the tranny, so any help is appreciated.