Tranny

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaPsmear

Reaction score
Is it possible for the torque converter to go out and the tranny still be good or is it usually the other way around tranny goes out first the the converter?

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is it possible for the torque converter to go out and the tranny still be good or is it usually the other way around tranny goes out first the the converter?
A bad trans can send shrapnel into the converter and a bad converter can send shrapnel into the trans. In those situations you replace both, as a pair, at the same time. Either can go first and destroy the other. You're not quite at that point yet. I see Nick responded in the other thread. Nick is one of the resident trans experts but not on all day everyday. Probably going on midnight where he's at. Going on 3 here and site is usally about dead at this time.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes replace both convertor and trans at the same time but also replace the trans cooler/radiator as it will be full of junk too.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
See my response in your other thread and replace both...Transmission must be completely gone through and converter rebuilt or replaced...Also purchase a new throttle valve cable (they are often sold as 'Detent cables' but it's the same thing).

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is possible, but typically converters are less likely to go bad. Converters are usually replaced because the transmission goes bad and they get contaminated. To drain all the fluid out of a converter and get the contaminants out, you have to cut the converter open. If you're in a major metro area there's probably a shop nearby that can rebuild your converter.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is possible, but typically converters are less likely to go bad. Converters are usually replaced because the transmission goes bad and they get contaminated. To drain all the fluid out of a converter and get the contaminants out, you have to cut the converter open. If you're in a major metro area there's probably a shop nearby that can rebuild your converter.
You may not have seen it but in his other thread, the drivability symptoms he's having are:
- No reverse
- No 3-4 (neutral in 3rd).

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't connecting it to another thread in my head, I was just answering the question he asked at the top. Whether or not he's chasing his tail, that question does deserve an answer.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I wasn't connecting it to another thread in my head, I was just answering the question he asked at the top. Whether or not he's chasing his tail, that question does deserve an answer.
Yep, agree. Just wanted to make you aware of the other so you had the context in case he started down the "maybe the converter is the only problem" road...