Tranny bombed - Super 4L60e or 4L80e swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Well guys my 4L60 gave up the ghost very abruptly this morning pulling my boat of course... Sounds like and almost 100% I lost the planetary gears, terrible noise. Anyhow, not here to diagnose but need help deciding to on what to do. I use my truck to primarily do nothing but pull my 19ft fiberglass bass boat these days. And sometimes it's a hour or so where I'm going, lake, river, etc.... question is build the heck out of the 4L60e or make the swap? What would y'all do and why? Also any know parts y'all would suggest would be greatly appreciated as well. Thanks Fellas

Ryan

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
What kind of noise is it making? Wonder if maybe your sunshell is stripped out. Thats a very common problem with the 4l60e's. You could just throw a beast sunshell in it a roll out if your pressed for money.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
What kind of noise is it making? Wonder if maybe your sunshell is stripped out. Thats a very common problem with the 4l60e's. You could just throw a beast sunshell in it a roll out if your pressed for money.

It makes the kinda noises that are straight and only from hell lol... Dude there is no way I would go threw all the trouble of pulling the trans and just throw in a new sunshell... I'd buy a u-pull-it tranny before I did that. Its getting a full rebuild or a 80, no question about it. I'm just sick of rebuilding 60s but am still wanting to hear others opinions on the 60... is it even possible to make a 60 reliable pulling my heavy truck and heavy *** boat? I hate getting stranded :(

I've had about 4 60s built over the years but they were for racing or dd'in... not a lifted truck towing setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

JollyGreen

Metalworking Madman
Reaction score
Well, if it was me I'd be more apt to putting an 80 in it. I had my 60 rebuilt a while back and it was sufficient for my DD needs. There were a few upgraded/stronger parts that I had put in though. If I was planning on pulling anything, or I had a lift and big tires on it, no question about what I'd do ($$$ willing).

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Man... I lay low for a month or two and y'all completely forgotten about me already.... I have a builder already but I usually buy my own parts and bring em to him since its always the buddy system pricing lol....

35s and 4.56s

You must be registered for see images attach

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
Well, if it was me I'd be more apt to putting an 80 in it. I had my 60 rebuilt a while back and it was sufficient for my DD needs. There were a few upgraded/stronger parts that I had put in though. If I was planning on pulling anything, or I had a lift and big tires on it, no question about what I'd do ($$$ willing).

Yea I know the 80 swap is gonna be high.... but I'm gonna have to have all new hard parts along with all the regular rebuild items so it isnt gonna be the 400-500 Im used to paying for a basic 60 build... and I have a local guy with a rebuilt, never run 4x4 80 for $800. No warranty though :(

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
$800 is a steal if it's new. The good part is it's a local guy.

Well semi local... its a craigslist find. I dont know the guy personally but he's about 1.5 hours aways. Its a good deal but kinda makes me nervous as well. Said he had it build for a project and went another direction.... he's looking for the build specs on it for me.