TPI intake on a l31

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rzuber11

Reaction score
Hi everybody. This is my first post here. I have a 96 k1500 with a l31. I am planning on a 411 pcm swap and am wanting to swap out the CPI to TPI. I know that i will need the special lowwer intake and the upper intake, runner and throttle body. My questions are will i be able to use my vortec sensors? What will i need to do for the accessory brackets and the alternator, water pump, comprssor etc.? Will I have to use those from a TPI set up? Thanks in advance.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a thread where this was done.

http://forum.gmtruckcentral.com/showthread.php?t=1000

I'm planning the same thing basically on my 78. I'll use all vortec sensors an all just on a non vortec motor. You will have to use the throttle position, egr (if your keeping it), idle air control, manifold pressure an anything that's actually on the tpi intake. You will keep your distributor, coil an module, knock, oxygen an crank sensors.

You'll have to cut off the large plug for the cpi an add/extend the individual injector wiring. You will probably also have to lengthen the tps an iac wiring. If I find another cheap intake setup it might find it's way onto my 98...

Rzuber11

Reaction score
THanks for the info! This thing should have tons of torque down low lol. That vortec baseplate though is insanely priced!!

Rzuber11

Reaction score
Will i have to use tpi water pump, alternator compressor and their brackets? I dont think voortec stuff will clear the throttle body.