Too Loud

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
hooker lt's 2.5" back to a di/di magnaflow x-over muffler dumped before/pointing at the pass tire

Its too loud, leaks, terrible drone and not legal.

Now I had 2 of the magnaflow mufflers put one after the other and it only quieted it down slightly at idle and alot at wot, so I took one of them off and now have tips turned down/out before the pass tire.

I'm not running cats which is illegal here, I dont have to do a sniffer test or anything but if i get pulled over and they look under the truck its a 10k fine, and i'm worried they will pull me over for noise alone.

now the truck sounds really good and i like the sound but there is too much drone on the highway and when towing its real loud inside the cab.

So, whats everyone running thats a quiet setup? I was thinking just adding resonators since they can pass as (looking like) cats or adding high flow cats, Mabye full tail pipes as well (have then just have to offset the exhaust like 5" to make them work)

I'm gonna keep the muffler I have and the lt's but everything else is up for debate.

I'm not worried about too quiet or flow restriction because i'd like cut outs.

So basically what would be quieter cats or resonators, before or after muffler? will tailpipes really quiet it down much more (outside the cab.. i know it will inside)

thanks in advance

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
well I think i may go with this setup:
2.5" from headers to y-pipe (where/close to where the stock pipe ran)
3" out from y-pipe to a cutout, then cat, then y-pipe back out to dual 2.5"
then a 2.5" di/do 18" magnaflow muffler.
Exit infront of pass tire with 3" Black tips
also it would be all heavy guage mandrel bent 316 stainless (from an old gravity milk cooler thing)

I dont know if the y-pipe will line up with my muffler though which could really suck. I also have 2 of the mufflers and really dont wanna but a third si/do. especially since the mufflers are like new.

///RAGMC

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anything that you dump under the bed will give you a drone even a stock muffler

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Anything that you dump under the bed will give you a drone even a stock muffler

Will exiting infront of the pass tire help alot? I know out the back would be better but i'm afraid of getting caught up on something.

I'm also thinking of putting in a resonator between the cat and muffler, I know they're best behind the muffler but they cant be totally useless infront can they?

97 z71

Reaction score
all the way back is the best bet for minimal cab drone

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I have a set of tailpipes I may put on, depends how it all comes together.
Just ordered everything from summit, didnt get any resonators, they can always be added later if i need to, hopefully the 3" merge and the cat will quiet it down enough.

Wagonbacker9

One string banjo. Maybe 2
Reaction score
I'll never understand putting in a Y pipe, only to split it back into duals... but as the others have said, taking it out the back does wonders. I'm catless with a pair of thrushes on long tubes and it is pretty quiet inside the truck. I'd imagine outside not so much, based on the echos I hear when i stomp on it.

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You should talk to tempted, he can fill you in on the y-pipe issue. Just remember to agree with everything he says.... :rofl: