To advanced man

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GavinJansma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a 96 that I installed a 5.7 vortec into and I can't get the timing right everything is brand new and I can't seem to get it to run fine have had the distributor out multiple times and it's spot on. It seems like nothing I do changes. I can see it's advancing the timing 15-38 degree's...

Attachments

• 20221209_185536.jpg
    20221209_185536.jpg
    339.8 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221209_185541.jpg
    20221209_185541.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 12
  • 20221209_185548.jpg
    20221209_185548.jpg
    466.5 KB · Views: 12

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You need to set the cam/crankshaft correlation, usually called CMP Retard on a scanner. DTC P1345 is usually tripped when it’s too far out of spec. The computer controls the timing.

Not all scanners read it, so if your scanner doesn’t there are download apps (DashCommand, CarGauge Pro) that can be used with an OBD Bluetooth adapter to get the value. Usually, you have to buy their extended GM PID package ($10+) to access the CMP retard.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

GavinJansma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You need to set the cam/crankshaft correlation, usually called CMP Retard on a scanner. DTC P1345 is usually tripped when it’s too far out of spec. The computer controls the timing.

Not all scanners read it, so if your scanner doesn’t there are download apps (DashCommand, CarGauge Pro) that can be used with an OBD Bluetooth adapter to get the value. Usually, you have to buy their extended GM PID package ($10+) to access the CMP retard.

You must be registered for see images attach
I have a blue point handheld scanner how would I buy the 10$ dlc I've seen it on there

east302

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sorry, not familiar with that scanner or how you could add the PID. Maybe others here would know?

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I doubt that your BluePoint will read CMP retard. I just Googled the model number from your pictures and it looks like that's pretty much a glorified code reader with some limited live data capabilities and ABS/SRS functions. If you don't see CMP in the menus, there's probably no way to add it. FWIU it's not a common feature on cheaper scan tools.

As east302 mentioned, there are cell phone apps that work with Bluetooth OBD2 adapters which can read CMP. Here's a couple links to different threads on the subject.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/car-gauge-pro-can-read-cmp.35275/

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/apps-that-read-cmp-retard-offset.42480/

GavinJansma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I doubt that your BluePoint will read CMP retard. I just Googled the model number from your pictures and it looks like that's pretty much a glorified code reader with some limited live data capabilities and ABS/SRS functions. If you don't see CMP in the menus, there's probably no way to add it. FWIU it's not a common feature on cheaper scan tools.

As east302 mentioned, there are cell phone apps that work with Bluetooth OBD2 adapters which can read CMP. Here's a couple links to different threads on the subject.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/car-gauge-pro-can-read-cmp.35275/

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/apps-that-read-cmp-retard-offset.42480/
alright I played with the distrbuter a but at 1000rpm using my reader to watch and got it dialed in (kinda) it still has a small miss at ide but otherwise it runs smooth.... I'll play with it for now and my work has a nice reader I can use if I bring it there.

k1500 97

Hoonigan
Reaction score
alright I played with the distrbuter a but at 1000rpm using my reader to watch and got it dialed in (kinda) it still has a small miss at ide but otherwise it runs smooth.... I'll play with it for now and my work has a nice reader I can use if I bring it there.
I know it's a old thread. Did you get it fixed mine dose the same after a distributor replacement.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keep in mind that with a Vortec, you can turn the distributor all day long and twice on weekends, but you'll never change the timing unless you turn it so far that the spark jumps to the wrong distributor terminal.

Timing is set by the crank sensor and computer, NOT by distributor position.

Turning the distributor is what aligns the cam sensor signal to the crank sensor signal; and aligns the rotor tip to the distributor terminal.