Tire size for lift?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Im interested in this thread as well. I have a 3" bl and torsion bars cranked to level. Im running 16x8 aftermarket wheels with -6 offset.

What tire size sbould I run? Im trying to decide between 305/70/16, 285/75/16, 295/75/16 and 315/75/16. I do want the tires to stick out just a little past my stock fender flares.

Not planning to regear at this time and I have 3.42s. What do yall think?

BTW I have a 96 2 door Yukon 4x4

Whatever you choose will likley kill performance with only 3.42 gears, I have 3.73 gears with 285's and I wouldnt go any bigger.. it kinda sucks on the highway under 65mph, over that its good. but with only 3.42's i'd either reccomend a regear. the width and the height both affect the gearing, also if your running stock rims a 305 is a tight fit. so your best bet would be 285's with wheel spacers.. thats what i'm running and they stick out about an inch, since you have 295's i'd run them.. if you want them wider put on some spacers. also for suspension if your going rcx the 4" kit is identical to the 6" except for the AAL or Block in the rear.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I have 98 k1500 with a 2" front torsion lift. I'm goin to put on a 4" suspension lift and want to know which size tires would look/fit best with a 16" wheel. Also, should the wheel offset be zero or positive? Negative is out of the question. Any imput is apreciated. Thanks.

What suspension lift are you looking at, the RCX is popular here and if you call in and say your a member of a forum (dosent really matter what forum) they'll knock off 10%. If your keeping a stock wheel I wouldnt go wider than a 305. If you want to be Wide i'd suggest spacers (or a diet consisting of a combination of fast food and beer) since they will not hurt mileage near as bad as a wider/heavier tire. as for height It really depends if your planning to regear or not. you will probably have either 3.73 gears or 3.42 (inside the glovebox the rpo code GT4 is 3.73), I wouldnt go over 33" tall with either of these, but its been done many times.. usually temporarly. 315's are pretty common and would be a good fit with you 4" lift, they would be driveable with 3.73 gears but not at all ideal (for a DD anyways) anything smaller than a 315 will be better on stock gears. you can go bigger too though, likley not much more than a 36 unless your prepared to start trimming away.

CinchUp

Reaction score
Don't mean to thread jack fellas but here in the spring I'm looking to get some 305/75/16 or 33" tires, just wondering how much a new set would cost for safaris, toyos, or trail grapplers, if anyone could give me rough prices, that'd be greatly appreciated so I can figure out the best bang for my buck

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Sounds like we need a metric tire size class up in here...a "305" can be 10" tall or 90" tall...

Anywho, 35's (or equivalent) with 6" is the only way IMO if you are set on lifting 4"+.

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I assumed we were all on the same page with standard tire sizes for these trucks, I was referring to 285's that are 33" tall, 305 are wide 33"s and 315's are a 35" Tire

As for tire prices it depends on many many things. I just put a set of 285/75-16's on my truck (duratracks) and they run me 1300$CAD all said and done.
Your tires are cheaper down there but 305's are usually more expensive. I got safari's quoted when i got my tires and they were 80$ a tire cheaper.

Also theres been 36's run on here with just a 3" BL, But I agree that they look best and are most common with a 6" susp. they will work just as well with a 4" susp though.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
The biggest factors are wheel width and wheel offset when determining can I fit a XX" tire with X" of lift.

I've seen 37" on 6" clear and 35"s on 6" rub. Its (mostly) about the wheel.