Timing vs. Idle vs. Throttle Spacer WTH?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Horsepower TV did a dyno episode where they found the balancer had spun on the center, causing the timing pointer to be inaccurate. Darn thing ran great with over 50° of baseline timing (which is ridiculous)
Check all the previous posts and suggestions first.
If all is good, try just setting the timing by ear. EST disconnected, power brake the engine, and advance the distributor till it pings, then back it off a couple degrees.

pmndlt

Reaction score
Horsepower TV did a dyno episode where they found the balancer had spun on the center, causing the timing pointer to be inaccurate. Darn thing ran great with over 50° of baseline timing (which is ridiculous)
If all is good, try just setting the timing by ear. EST disconnected, power brake the engine, and advance the distributor till it pings, then back it off a couple degrees.
Thanks @Nad_Yvalhosert but my latest gaffe put me even further behind, currently need help just getting the distributor back in a range to get the truck running. Seeing the marks nearly 1/4 turn apart makes me believe the distributor wasnt correctly installed in the first place.

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score

50 degrees off would put it onto the next cylinder, so it would run fine, but it wouldn't be right.