Timing trouble on 94 Chevy.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94whitechevy

Reaction score
I have a 94 Chevy truck with a tbi 350 engine with shorty headers,Edelbrock intake, Holley unit, MSD coil and aftermarket cam shaft. The problem that i am having is the timing. Have set the timing to 0 degrees top dead center on the compression stroke. the problem i have is that i am getting a back fire coming through the tbi unit. Then when i retard the timing by turning the distributor. i get a sputter in the exhaust. I looked on YouTube for a video how to set then timing. they are talking about removing a chip before setting the timing. I am wondering were that maybe. The guy on the video said that it was located were the fuel pump really is and it is not there. Any help would be grateful.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You are looking for a black wire with a brown trace (or brown with black tracer) on your truck it's inside the cab by the blower motor. Unplug it, start truck, set timing with light, shut off truck, plug it back in, and enjoy

94whitechevy

Reaction score
So i found the white wire and is on the wire coming from the ecm harness. Going to the coil and there is nothing plugged into to it. Was wondering what happens when there is nothing plugged into it.

kyviabama

Reaction score
I have the same white wire on my 94 it is just taped to the ignition and tach wires, not plugged in. Although, I'm not sure what it's for either.

the est timing wire (tan/black) is behind the glove box. Don't remove the dash, just the glove. Mine was easy to spot, not wrapped in the bundle. It has plastic connectors on it.