Tie-Downs in the Box.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

silverado_06

Resident Canuck.
Reaction score
Alright guy's. It's time for some load safety for Big Red. i have a few ideas of my own, but i need to know what you guy's are doing. truck is a 96 rcsb, it see's alot of work/fun. quite often i have to load up a quad or dirtbike, building materials,peoples furniture, so on so forth. my problem is i have no hooks or anything in the box i can tie down to, all i have is bedrails/stake pockets. now the truck has a GM Duraliner box liner that defenitly needs to stay. i looked underneath and it's not like a nbs that already has hooks built it. so i need to do something minimum of four hooks is ideal. i have a welder and am fairly good with it but am no expert welder. i'm willing to cut up the bed liner where it needs to be. so lets see what all of you guy's do to tie down loads. i'm open to all ideas. thanks guy's. and admins if this is the wrong section feel free to move it.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
This is what I did in my truck.

You must be registered for see images attach

IIRC the D-ring and bracket are rated for 1,500lbs. I mounted 6 of them in the bed, one in each corner and an additional 2 behind the toolbox (the ones shown) since the front two are blocked when it's in the truck. The corner ones in my truck are mounted to the large C-channel brace that supports the bed steps. Your truck won't have those, but you could mount them like the middle two. I used very large fender washers (think 2"+) to help reinforce the sheetmetal. They are very strong, and I have loaded couches, streetbikes, etc using them.

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My dad's (06) and I'm sure all GMT800 trucks have them in the bed. I had thought about welding some smaller U-bolts (like the ones from the drive shaft yokes) onto the bed support pillars. But 88GMC's idea may be alot safer. I would trust his more than my idea.

silverado_06

Resident Canuck.
Reaction score
ok so if i go with those i can just drill a couple holes through the bedliner/box and throw a couple large washers on the back side of them and call it good? i should have the bolts and washers and what not kicking around the shop. so all i need to get is the d-rings i guess.

silverado_06

Resident Canuck.
Reaction score
Ok, so i bought those flip anchors. i was also looking at how to bolt them down. it appears they where built to have a 3/8's carriage bolt go through them, now not to sound cheap but 3/8'sx3" carriage bolts work out to about $45 worth of bolts. so i was thinking can i just run a 3/8's stainless bolt through them? i have a metric **** ton of them sitting at the shop including big enough washers. all of it is stainless as well. Also if anyone wants a write-up on this i can snap some pictures, just let me know.

truckintim05

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm using the same D rings for my harley. So far they've been working great. I like them more than the small tie downs in my GMT800. Instead of using washers on the back I used a steel plate that was about 3x3" to reinforce the sheet metal.

eck95z71

Hightech Redneck
Reaction score
I did the exact same thing as Tim and cut an 1/8 inch steel plate down to reinforce and it seems to be holding pretty well. I just used 3/8 stainless bolts cuz I too am cheap and it's what I had layin around, seems to work as well as carriage bolts. Tim, is that an 883?