Ticking noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jtalley42

Reaction score
I'm trying to fix up my grandpa's 1998 gmc sierra 1500. I know it has a vortec motor, but not sure of its specs. Below is a link to a YouTube video I posted of it.

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Does anyone have any input

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like the fan contacting the radiator. The 7th digit if the vin will tell you the motor size. R-5.7l M-5.0l etc.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Could also be the serpentine belt is coming apart from age and pieces of it are slapping other items as it spins around. You're just gonna have to get in there and see what's going on, just be careful.

Richard

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm gonna check on that in just a second. If that's the case, how can we fix that?
Can’t really answer a question until you KNOW what the problem is. If it’s the fan/radiator issue - is fan loose?, has radiator shifted? If it’s a disintegrating belt, replace it.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did something smack up underneath?
When I blew my trans the inspection cover somehow got dented up and was hitting the flywheel, made a similar sound.
So crawl up under and take a boo, MAYBE that's it.