Ticking/Knocking After Intake Manifold Gaskets

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BubbaSmthr

Reaction score
Replaced my intake manifold gaskets over the weekend, changed the oil, oil pressure switch, spark plugs, wires, rotor and cap afterwards. Started it up, ran fine, little bit of a high idle. Took it on a test drive, started ticking about a mile down the road and got worse the longer I drove it. Also makes a loud knocking noise under full throttle. Oil pressure is 60 when cold and 40 once the engine is warm. Checked the timing numerous times and it is good. Firing order is also correct, 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2.

It does have two leaks, one on the driver's side on the intake, slightly in front of the center intake bolts. The other one is on the passenger side, in between the two center intake bolts. Should I just reinstall and retorque the bolts, or install all new gaskets? And would this cause a ticking noise?

Here is a video of it running. You can faintly hear the ticking noise.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nq4lPmmsS-k

Any ideas/help are greatly appreciated.

Keepinitoldskool

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Did you follow proper torque sequence and pressure? Did you ckean the threads out with a tap first? I would check for proper torque on all bolts. If you find the bolts near the leak to be less then retorque all bolts in proper sequence and to high end of torque spec.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
is the dist cap seated properly rotor could be tapping on cap,check for exhaust leaks at manifolds to block and ypipe connections

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Not necessary. Just wondering. When someone says, 'tick', especially after doing any top end work, that's what comes to mind. Easy to do though.
If the coolant got into the oil, there could be water still inside the lifter. A couple of low-mileage oil changes may help that.
Miles on your truck? I was taught that on older, higher mileage engines, tighten only about 1/4-3/8 of a turn after they stop ticking. Easier on the cam & lifters.

BubbaSmthr

Reaction score
Cap is tight, will check for exhaust leaks, to me it does not sound like an exhaust leak, but that doesn't mean that's not what it is.

I have changed the oil twice thinking that coolant got in the oil. First time the tick went away for a little while then came back. Second time the tick did not go away.

Truck has approx 186000 miles.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
This one (just the one!) caused a terrible tick in my '97. Not saying this is your prob, just that it may be.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Didn't hurt the cam, though.