Throttle response

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So I already posted a thread but I realized that I put it up in the exhaust thread and I wanted to make sure everyone sees it. It's not an exhaust issue, per say, but I feel my exhaust may be causing it. I have a '93 k1500 sierra with a 5.7 that I converted to an nv4500 from a 4L60E. I replaced the plugs with factory Delco plugs. 8mm wires and brass cap and rotor. Replaced battery terminals. Cleaned all power and ground connections. New alternator and rebuilt the tbi unit. I also put headman long tube headers on with a 2.5" dual exhaust. I put the O2 sensor in the #3 primary tube close to the head. It seems a bit hesitant in neutral giving a rev or two at the tbi unit. Does anyone know or have any experience with this? I'm not sure if it wants more timing maybe bc of headers and exhaust or if the timing is even correct for that matter. I also thought maybe bc the O2 is only reading one cylinder that somehow that could be it. But it seems late on timing to me. Runs very smooth and even kinda slow though...as if it's late. Thanks for any help!

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put the O2 sensor in the #3 primary tube close to the head. It seems a bit hesitant in neutral giving a rev or two at the tbi unit. Does anyone know or have any experience with this?
One thing you can try is 1st, check your base timing with the EST (black/tan) wire disconnected. If it's retarded, set to TDC and take it out for a drive. Then try adding 3 - 4* and take it out for a drive. By fooling the ECM into thinking it's at zero, it'll run throughout the spark map 3 - 4* advanced. If it runs better, time to get a tune. The position of the O2 sensor in not optimal, you can put it in the collector and use a heated sensor to stay in CL (Closed Loop) longer while at idle.