Throttle Body Spacer: Smooth vs Swirl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm about to order a throttle body spacer and injector riser but I'm not sure which one to get. I've got a 93 K1500 with a 4.3 Vortec TBI in it. Would a smooth or swirl be more beneficial?

This is the one I've been looking at:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-2733/

Last edited:

Problem2420

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

93SierraWT

Greater Made Chevy
Reaction score
Well it's not too often that my truck is under WOT so I'm not too worried about top end. Low to mid range is really what I'm going for. Do I need longer bolts or hoses?

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I ordered the smooth bore I think? From Summit anyway it comes with the bolts and gaskets and it was the one for mid-hi power. The TBI's already have great low end torque and nothing on the top end so why not balance it out?

Anyway, my 40mph punches got A LOT better :D But I also did some air mods like the powercharger and injector spacer at the same time as the TB spacer along with opening up my intake tube by replacing the stock air box with 3" pipe.

It helped my acceleration greatly, which is what I think they're designed for but my point is don't go expecting 20 hp gains or anything they're just designed to smooth and give a quicker response for acceleration. That's it.

Playare

Enter Custom User Title:
Reaction score
I don't mean to hijack the thread, but where does this thing go?

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
An airgap spacer would be the most beneficial of all the spacer designs. Swirl-port spacers are a waste, standard spacers increase plenum volume, airgaps do that and allow both injectors to feed both banks of cylinders. Don't raise your injectors more than 3/8" or the streams will hit the bores of the tbi causing your air and fuel not to mix properly. If you break it down and actually look at the facts, on a fresh crate engine that's already been broken in with new injectors and nothing used on the engine, at WOT the engine only pulls around 460-470cfm through the intake passages, the tbi at WOT flows around 480-485cfm. So technically any cfm upgrades are a waste of time/money, although I've done them on most my trucks just for *****.

Replacing the cam, heads, and recurving/replacing dist for a higher rpm limiter will be what begins to justify cfm increases.

gmcierra

Reaction score
Completely different engine, I know, but I put a swirl one on my 2000 pick up and it actually "whistled" just cruising down the highway! I had to take it off, it drove me NUTS!

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Completely different engine, I know, but I put a swirl one on my 2000 pick up and it actually "whistled" just cruising down the highway! I had to take it off, it drove me NUTS!

The ones for the 96+ trucks are only for show, and can be an annoyance like you stated.