Third brake light bulbs??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score
Odd.. I've never had a problem taking them out without breaking them.

The regular OEM ones such a pain to find though, none of my local shops had them

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There is a pair of 194 7watt LEDs white for the cargo light on another thread that I bought and they are extremely bright from ebay US seller will get a link ASAP
Original bulbs are larger - same size base as a 194, but the bulb is a 921. The globe is much larger. That means more room in there for a brighter bulb than an LED-replacement 194 size. The ones you posted may be bright, but I'll bet there's brighter. Also keep in mind for the CHMSL itself you want red LED's; a white one will look pinkish behind that red lens. Red LED for red lens, white for white/clear...

The regular OEM ones such a pain to find though, none of my local shops had them
Not sure which post you're responding to? If you mean mine, they didn't break when removing. They broke on install, because the socket is very tight and the base of the LED was a little too thick. It forced the leads which go inside and solder to the circuit boards the LED's are on, so the leads broke off internally and shorted. *poof*

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There is a pair of 194 7watt LEDs white for the cargo light on another thread that I bought and they are extremely bright from ebay US seller will get a link ASAP
Original bulbs are larger - same size base as a 194, but the bulb is a 921. The globe is much larger. That means more room in there for a brighter bulb than an LED-replacement 194 size. The ones you posted may be bright, but I'll bet there's brighter. Also keep in mind for the CHMSL itself you want red LED's; a white one will look pinkish behind that red lens. Red LED for red lens, white for white/clear...

Not sure which post you're responding to? If you mean mine, they didn't break when removing. They broke on install, because the socket is very tight and the base of the LED was a little too thick. It forced the leads which go inside and solder to the circuit boards the LED's are on, so the leads broke off internally and shorted. *poof*

EDIT - oh nevermind; now I see what you're responding to. The original post in this thread which is like 3 years old. :gr_grin:

Richard

1998K1500

Chris
Reaction score

EDIT - oh nevermind; now I see what you're responding to. The original post in this thread which is like 3 years old. :gr_grin:

Richard

Yeah no worries, I figured I might as well respond to it since its revived now

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Richard

Yes I understand that 921 are bigger I had ordered a bigger size and the barely fit!! Plus they had a smaller 194 plug and didn't stay in as good as the new ones I posted. Lol so I got the smaller version and they r just as bright as the big momma ones and I don't think there's anything brighter than what I got since all I have seen in my city are cheapy crappy blue LEDs that are supposed to be white!!! So I shake my head when I see them in fords etc for cargo lights. Lemme know if u find brighter ones though for real lol I'll take a PIC I think you'll be impressed plus I have backup lights 3496 or whatever the number is n those r huge with a nice polymer lens on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Alright so I got some pics of the ones I posted 194 base just the cargo lights not brake light
I only have one cause I broke the other one lol sorry
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

Stepside_fever95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Seconding this. I had a very similar experience with mine, except my truck didn't let the magic smoke out for some reason. It would just blow a 20A fuse in the box every time the bulbs were supposed to be lit. I ended up just going with a smoked full LED replacement housing. My bulbs that caused issues came from SuperBrightLEDs and had totally different bases. I'm willing to bet that a lot of them will do this.
My led bulbs did the same thing as yours.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Tapatalk

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The bulbs that have the metal wire on both sides shorts out the wires u need the ones I posted or ones that have the wire coming from the very bottom of the base n goes up instead of the wires coming out the cup of the bulb maybe I should draw it lol one sec

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Trust me, no matter what the bases look like it's pretty much luck of the draw. I tried three different types of bases in my factory housing, all of them tried to melt something. IMO you're better off sticking with standard bulbs or switching to a full LED housing. Those sockets are just not made to be messed with.

AbramF_496

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Bull
The plastic 194 bases are all the same the placement of the wires coming out is what's different

You know how the original bulbs have one wire on each side. Buy the ones like that like in my ebay picture it's legit.

The leds u don't wanna buy are the ones that have all four sides covered with wire that's the melting ones.