thinking about going back to a thermal actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TUCSONDUDE

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The posi-lok that the PO installed finally gave up after many years of faithful service. I checked the connector, put a fuse in and it still puts out 12v(ignition on).

Anybody want to talk me out of this? Does it really take a 25 amp fuse? the wiring seems a little thin for 25 amps.

RyanR

BAD REPUTATION
Reaction score
I say try to fix or buy a new Posi Lok setup, I've always been a fan of that setup. Having 2wd low is pretty cool as well

1ugly88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i did this to my old pickup. worked flawlessly. just waiting for the actuator to quit in the yukon before i put it in there.

Hydengr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I too had the old thermo style replaced with the newer style electronic actuator over 12 yrs ago... It continues to act flawlessly... highly recommend!

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Just to add to the stats; my 98 has the servo actuator oem. It's still on the original one.

It's been in -30 c and lower, snowplowing, river fording, mud holes and all other manners of abuse.

435,000 kms on the truck and it engages each and every time i hit the button. Quick and fast with no issues. Ive even engaged it while accelerating in an avoidance maneuver (winter) and no issues.

The TLA (and vacuum pots on the s series) was a bad idea but they sure made up for it with the servo system...

oohunter04oo

Like a Rock
Reaction score
I've had 3 electric actuator go out in my 94, I want the posi lock. All 3 of mine came from the dealership I use to work at.