The truck is making weird noises when AC is on. Other engine mystery... Video inside!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yeti_Owner

Why be sober?
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen an HC count that high, lol. Are you getting any codes?

BTW, with all due respect to '97, check that AC pressure first.

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever seen an HC count that high, lol. Are you getting any codes?

BTW, with all due respect to '97, check that AC pressure first.
Nope no codes. After the new cat converter, they all went down to like nothing. But 12,000 is insanely high so I'm not sure what's going on. I was reading a website that gave you basic ideas of what those mean and it could be that im running lean or there's a misfire or something but the engine itself runs great.

Time to learn again. haha I dont know anything about AC but i'll look up some youtube videos on how to check the AC pressure and see if I can refill the freon myself. I dont really have any idea how difficult AC troubleshooting is but if it's DIY doable, i'll give it a go.

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Based on what I am reading about AC in general and AC compressors switching on and off like that, it could be the pressure switch or just low freon. low enough to make it do that. Is it possible to just go to autozone and get a can of freon and put it in? I was reading yahoo answers where someone said to do that, obviously it sounds easy so if it's feasible Id like to try it as a trouble shoot.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah you can put it in from a can at the parts store. IMO (mind you I CAN be wrong) that is cycling way to fast just to be low. Unless it is just on that fringe of not turning on at all (never had a vehicle that low so I wouldn't know)

ridiqls

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah you can put it in from a can at the parts store. IMO (mind you I CAN be wrong) that is cycling way to fast just to be low. Unless it is just on that fringe of not turning on at all (never had a vehicle that low so I wouldn't know)

yeah still doing research on this.

Okay I found this http://www.bsntech.com/bsntech-blog...ycling-on-and-off-in-car-air-conditioner.html

It sounds exactly like my problem. Here's the thing, my AC is ICE COLD. Like seriously it's almost too cold for me. It was like that when I bought the car and during my test drive i checked it out and the AC was good, and the AC compressor was cycling ON and OFF but it only did it once and it went away. Right now it will do it 100% of the time if I touch the AC.

I'm wondering if the previous owner filled it up or something with too much freon.

Last edited:

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No the high pressure switch is on the AC line next to the compressor. The Low pressure switch is usually on the silver canister by the coolant tank on the firewall