The Stupid Lowered Questions Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im pulling this out of my back pocket, but if I recall, once you find the angle of the tailshaft of the transmission, you need to go negative 2 degrees (i.e. pointing down) from that on the rear end to compensate for torque. Somebody correct me if Im wrong.

hxc93

Reaction score
I guess I need to fix my rear ride hight before I properly set pinion angle. Thanks for all the great pinion angle info!

So, my next question... I need to lift up the rear end of the truck a little. I assume its because of old leaf springs. What are my options for lifting the rear around 1 inch? New springs? Lift shackles?

94LowRider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Doing the DJM 4/6 the Directions say you need to cut 5/8" off the tie-rod ends, but doesn't say 1-2 or all tie-rods, also say you may edd to cut adj tube ???.:

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I did the DJM C/As I had the same instructions. What theyre trying to tell you is that when you adjust your toe-in the T/Rs are going to butt up in the sleeve and you will run out of adjustment. Mine came with spacers for the steering arm to drop the T/Rs down level. One broke on me at high speed. Took a month for my butt to unpucker. I took the other one off and threw it away. I would never run them. BUT! if you dont run them you will need to notch the frame slightly. Pain in the butt, but its the right thing to do.

94LowRider

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the CA's and springs in, hope to get back at it when I get in from the road. Will take measure and look at trd's and frame. Thanks.h

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have a 'Q' about rear shocks.
I always thought that shocks had a 'sweet spot'. The internal valving in the center of the shock, which would be about the center of travel when the vehicle's weight is on them. Correct me if I'm wrong. If this is correct, how do I check this?
My black truck is 4/7. When this was done we also re-located the upper shock mounts. But, I used the same shocks as when it was 4/6. Belltech Street Performers. They're kinda spendy, up here, but I really like 'em!
So with the the re-located mounts, & the 1" lower stance, we also modded some custom extenders that are just slightly longer than the bolt on style. (+ 3/8") Would fabbing up some some even longer extenders be a better plan, if the shocks are too short? That may be a clearance issue. Or do you think that that extra 3/8" be O.K as they are? The shocks have low low miles. Would it just be simpler, but more $$$!, to just buy some shorter shocks? How much shorter?
Future plans for the blue truck is to also re-locate the upper mounts & I think that just some extenders will allow the use of the shocks I have on it now!

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
What's the lowest I can go with 275/60/r15 tires without any issue?

4/6 is no problem with some mods.
Rolled fender lips, & the grinding off of any protrusions of the bolt ends sticking out into the inside of the front wheel wells.
You will also have to grind off 2"-2.5" of the LCA rain gutters. Both front & rear sides.
Use the stick-on style of balancing weights on your wheels. The clip-on style have a tendency to be knocked off by LCA's when turning tight.
One member ran 295/50-15's on a 4/6 drop. (stroker52)

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
I have a 'Q' about rear shocks.
I always thought that shocks had a 'sweet spot'. The internal valving in the center of the shock, which would be about the center of travel when the vehicle's weight is on them. Correct me if I'm wrong. If this is correct, how do I check this?
My black truck is 4/7. When this was done we also re-located the upper shock mounts. But, I used the same shocks as when it was 4/6. Belltech Street Performers. They're kinda spendy, up here, but I really like 'em!
So with the the re-located mounts, & the 1" lower stance, we also modded some custom extenders that are just slightly longer than the bolt on style. (+ 3/8") Would fabbing up some some even longer extenders be a better plan, if the shocks are too short? That may be a clearance issue. Or do you think that that extra 3/8" be O.K as they are? The shocks have low low miles. Would it just be simpler, but more $$$!, to just buy some shorter shocks? How much shorter?
Future plans for the blue truck is to also re-locate the upper mounts & I think that just some extenders will allow the use of the shocks I have on it now!

Bump for ideas/clues/suggestions.