TERRIBLE slow performance in snow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottydl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We got a few inches of snow the week before Christmas, and my Suburban (RWD only) was absolutely horrible getting out of the snowy driveway and onto our semi-plowed street. I tried shifting between lowest gears and reverse to get some traction, but 1 or both rear wheels would just hang up and spin even at slow speed. My gravel drive is slightly slanted (needs more gravel) and I almost slid into the ditch a few times, while the wheels were spinning and getting me nowhere. This was just trying to back the darn thing into the street and straighten up! When I did make it onto the street and apply the brakes, it would slide (ABS didn't kick in because of how slow I was going) and threaten to send me slowly into the ditch on the opposite side. As a comparison, my 2013 Traverse drove in and out of the driveway as if it was dry. No problems whatsoever. We are not talking about a lot of snow, and I've dealt with this every winter in the Midwest so I'm used to the weather. The 'Burb performance just seemed really bad this time.

Is there something I'm missing about the best ways to maneuver in the snow, using specific shifting/braking or any other tricks? My tires are factory size LT's (Cooper Discoverer) and tread is still plenty deep.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
If you are not running snow tires that is part of the problem. And if you have an open differential that will also add to the low traction issue in the snow.

Another thing to take into account is you are now driving a RWD vehicle compared to a FWD/AWD vehicle

Last edited:

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I'm not sure where the low gear things comes from... I remember my grandmother mentioning it when I was a teenager. It makes no sense to me. A lower gear means you've got more torque to break traction which is the opposite of what you want to do.

What kind of shape are your drum brakes in? Tire pressure? Leaves under the snow? Ice under the snow? Pissed and in a hurry?

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What kind of Cooper tire? Can't remember what the name was but one of them was worthless in anything but paved roads. Tires have a lot to do with winter traction. My old Tahoe was 4wd, but I never used it in less absolutely had to. At the top of my road is pretty steap, and I would go up in 2wd, even with 5-7" of unplowed snow. Want a tall skinny tire for snow, the Tahoe had 235/85/16s, and was a tank. But what you were told was right, don't want a low gear to start off in in snow/ice. I'm not sure if the 4l80s would or not, but I know the '60 could, but putting the shifter in 2 would start off in 2nd gear. The torque isn't as much, and has more wheel speed. But not much you can about reverse.

jnewkirk77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The tires are your first problem. We've only had once snowfall so far this year, but I put a set of dedicated Severe Snow-rated tires all the way around my pickup, and it made a HUGE difference. I carried no weight in the bed and made it home from work without a bit of trouble ... first time I've ever been able to do that in a RWD truck.

I'm running Wild Country Trail 4SXs, they're made in Vietnam but sold by Multi-Mile dealers. They originally wanted to sell me Linglong Crosswinds, but these were just $3 more a tire. Well worth it, IMHO.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
As stated, tire tires tires. Another question though is what kind of snow was it? That **** that half sticks and turns to snot when it's like 33 degrees out is terrible to drive in.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As stated, tire tires tires. Another question though is what kind of snow was it? That **** that half sticks and turns to snot when it's like 33 degrees out is terrible to drive in.
Thats all we seem to get here in Texas. Then it melts slightly and refreezes into patches of ice overnight. Then the northern folks that have driven on it all their life or so they think end up in the ditch or into the back of another car because it is an ice skating rink not nice packed snow.

Calvinator

Reaction score
I'm in Cleveland, Oh. Lots of snow here. My best snow vehicle is my 1995 Suburban C2500. 2wd with posi traction. I run factory sized BFGoodrich All-Terrain tires year round. Great tires. They have a snow rating on them. No challenges driving in any snow-slush-wet conditions from a dusting to 12".

In comparison, I have a Jeep Cherokee SRT also. High performance vehicle with a top of the line Michelin all-season tire and all sorts of 4x4 computer traction stuff.

Suburban is better. AND no one is cold with the front and rear heaters going !!!!