Temperature sending unit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I picked up a new sending unit for my 1990 5.7 TBI and noticed that the design appears to have changed. The old sending unit in the driver’s side head had a small button that the wire slid onto. All of the new sending units that I can find have a spade connector. Does anyone know where to find a sending unit with the button?

You must be registered for see images attach

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Are any of them you tried made by AC Delco? Try to get an original if possible and they may have changed their design as well. If you can't find an original style, cut off the original connector on the wire and crimp on the appropriate spade terminal to fit the new style.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is the current AC Delco unit for a truck with a gauge. I’m just surprised that the connect would have changed. Anyone else running into this?

You must be registered for see images attach

mtl111

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Unless you can an original NOS AC Delco on Ebay or on some GM dealership shelf they forgot about , thats pretty much going to be your best option.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oddly enough, if you look up sending units for older gm vehicles, they show the round connector:

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/ado-g1852

I have no idea if the resistance is the same, but the connector looks correct. Has anyone replaced this sending unit before? Did you use the spade style and change the wiring or did you use a model for an older vehicle?

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just noticed that the original connector appears to work with the spade as well. My wire is a little short to reach the end of the spade, did you have to extend yours? Does the new sensor work with your original gauge?

idlook2

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone confirm that the spade terminal sending unit works with the stock gauge? If so, did you have to extend your wire? I don’t have enough slack to get the wire on the spade.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I think that changed after '89. But if you go to a bone yard, pretty much any GM with a small block '89 and older will have the style connector you need.
My wife's '92 has the updated weatherpack connector or whatever, didn't think it would fit over the old style.