TBI vs Vortec

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really wish I could justify swapping the rear to 342s but as bad as the 308 is, it's got 280K on it and all i've ever put into it is gear oil and axle seals and it keeps on going.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I prefer a Vortec than a TBI, yeah TBI's are simpler, but the Vortec has more power because of it's roller cam, heads, intake (Vortex effect), runs smoother, and gets a little better fuel economy. The bad things people have probably heard are the intake gaskets failing and killing the engine. It's best to replace them as soon as possible because GM thought it was a good idea to use a rubber gasket instead of a metal one. They do make metal ones, which we put on when I got the truck in '14.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I really wish I could justify swapping the rear to 342s but as bad as the 308 is, it's got 280K on it and all i've ever put into it is gear oil and axle seals and it keeps on going.
My 97 ecswb has a 5.7 L Vortec, but came with the tow package, so it came with 342s . It does make a big difference over 308s. Of corse tire size plays a big roll in how the truck performs. I have replaced my carrier bearings and axel shaft bearings once. 342 diffs are very easy to find. Thats what most 4.3L V6s have. I know thats what was in my 93 rclwb WT.

90halfton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At rebuild time I swapped my 3.08 into a trash can and put in new 3.42s. Makes a world of difference pulling a trailer. Mpg didn't change either . 235 tires, any bigger and gears should be bigger too.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That is good to know on the V6s, will have to be more on lookout for those, hopefully cheaper option. Now a limited slip V6 3.42 - a unicorn I guess?

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
TBI sounds better, makes more torque down low, is simpler, and a smidge more reliable due to simple underpowered setup.

Vortec is better in every other way.

chipskittles

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahh, the TBI/Vortec which is better saga continues...I think all the usual points have been covered now.