tbi to carbed swap info needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
So wutcha find out? I pulled my fuse alone the other day to take pressure off the fuel pressure line and the gauge still worked....maybe it's the difference in years too.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So wutcha find out? I pulled my fuse alone the other day to take pressure off the fuel pressure line and the gauge still worked....maybe it's the difference in years too.

i found out that i was REALLY low on gas and the gauge works perfectly! truck runs like a top.... after adjusting the kickdown and timing I drove it 30 miles from my dads house to my place. I backed it into my garage and tore into the old motor found 2 blown head gaskets and a crack between cylinders 4 and 6... nothing too surprising

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Haha, put that cracked engine back together and sell it to Mastercraft as a core, they'll sleeve those cracked cylinders, rebuild and resell it....that just tells ya how crooked they are. :p

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Haha, put that cracked engine back together and sell it to Mastercraft as a core, they'll sleeve those cracked cylinders, rebuild and resell it....that just tells ya how crooked they are. :p

ha thats funny. its suck a small crack too, I doubt it was the main problem, im gonna drop the pistons out tomorrow morning and look for the "fractured ring" the PO claimed.... yeah the crack was between 4 and 6 but there was barely any depth to it... almost looked like a hair when I first saw it.... right now the motor is sitting jugs down in the back of my truck draining the oil into the bed... and its snowing pretty good here in WI. basically I dont think its worth the space in the garage.

MOBS

The Mad Scientist
Reaction score
Interesting thread. Im actually debating on removing my tb and going carb.

First change the heads, the stock heads don't flow well enough to need any more air as it is. Then get an RV cam(higher lift, slight duration). THEN start with the fuel and ignition systems.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Interesting thread. Im actually debating on removing my tb and going carb.

I will do this swap again for sure! I hope to someday find a nice pre 95 rcsb and swap to carb, slam it and scrap on everything. Im not a huge hp chaser, I like carbs because it doesnt cost me anything to tune it unlike an efi and the sound cant be copied. heres my advice on doing this after having some experience now.
if your block and heads are good KEEP THEM (unless your looking for a ton of power). 80% of the time I spent on the swap was block related (swapping sensors, pulling old motor, dropping new one in, changing accessory stuff ect...) Just swap your intake to a aluminum unit and throw a carb on top. If you are looking for power I have been very curious about a set of vortec heads and a carb (edelbrock makes a vortec head alum intake for a carb, since the vortec heads have a different angle)... doing just an intake swap would only take a day, figuring you have to rerun fuel lines and run a choke wire ect.

smurfcivic

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually have a set or vortec heads im debating on. Im still searching for a good cam. Not trying to make it fast just want it to sound mean. I got a few bikes if i feel the need for speed. lol

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I actually have a set or vortec heads im debating on. Im still searching for a good cam. Not trying to make it fast just want it to sound mean. I got a few bikes if i feel the need for speed. lol

well and if your civics anything like my 93 that things a rocket! ;P