TBI Rough Idle when warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Had more time for a leisurely test drive and I heard knocking under acceleration. A scan tool registered nearly constant knock with ESC_Counts of 1-2 at cruise, and up to 15 under acceleration. I added two bottles of Lucas Octane Booster and the knock at cruise went to 0. The knock under acceleration is down to 1-2, and the idle is smoother. So looks like I have more issues than just a tune up or leaky injector.

Upon closer inspection of my intake, which I know is leaking oil from the F and R china wall, I do see sludge buildup along the passenger side. I also see wetness around the #8 exhaust manifold.

You must be registered for see images

https://imgur.com/eKyJxUl

https://imgur.com/GYadjGH
You must be registered for see images

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I added two bottles of Lucas Octane Booster and the knock at cruise went to 0
Sounds like you're running too far advanced and/or lean. Try checking your base timing with EST wire disconnected. Check your O2 feed back when you get knock counts with your scanner. Remember, you can get knock counts if your exhaust pipes or other things like motor mounts rattle.

Upon closer inspection of my intake, which I know is leaking oil from the F and R china wall, I do see sludge buildup along the passenger side. I also see wetness around the #8 exhaust manifold.
The 2 center intake bolts on both sides go into the valley and will leak oil if their threads weren't coated with PTFD sealant.

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just to close this out, my issue turned out to be (I believe) bad gas. Few more days of driving with a rough idle and the truck developed a noticeable spark knock under even mild acceleration. Scan tool showed ESC Counts up to 18 under mild acceleration and a constant 2-5 at cruise. Two bottles of Lucas Octane booster erased the knock both audibly and from the scan data. Next fill up I went back to a name brand gas (still 87 Octane) and haven't had a problem since. Thanks to all for the time and suggestions.