TBI problem, Truck won't stay running

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, I've continue to have some sort of TBI problem since it's rebuild.

I have a '95 TBI with a couple issues.

1) The throttle blades are sticking now (This is new) but only after it's been running then shut off and it sits for a few minutes. If I try to restart the throttle pedal won't move until it's press hard and then it frees itself and operates normal. This is only on the initial start up and only after it's sat for a while.

2) I've replaced several sensors, TPS, IAC, Throttle body temp to be exact. I was getting the code flashes for these so I've replaced them. Fixed, I no longer get any codes flashing except the normal "1-2" flashes at the beginning.

BUT...the problem is that once it's started (after the sticking blades free up) it won't stay running once I crack the throttle. Whether it's from inside on the pedal or under the hood at the throttle linkage.

I'm showing approx 10-11 psi on my fuel gauge at the rear of the TBI, so that seems good..I think

Not sure if I'm getting to much fuel and it's choking itself out or what..but once it's starts up I'm getting black smoke and black soot specs all over the driveway....

any suggestions.....I'm about the scrap this TBI and look for an alternative replacement !

Thanks in advance

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pretty easy to tell if it’s the throttle body or the cable causing you problems, disconnect the cable from the tb, and work the blades by hand. Similarly work the cable, whichever binds up is the problem.
Most likely the shaft bushings are shot in the tb.
When you say you replaced the temp sensor, was it the one on the intake manifold near the thermostat housing or the one on the side of the drivers cyl Head?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any chance you turned the base idle screw? Sounds like the throttle blades are closing too far, (so they jam in the throttle bore) and the Idle Air Control can't keep up, which is why it stalls..

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
x2 to both of those.

If you buy a TB rebuild kit you can inspect and clean everything in there and if it is the bushings you could replace those also. Or it could just be as simple as too much carbon built up in there causing your issues. In any circumstance, I would buy a rebuild kit and go from there ($15-$20)

Darrell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow..that's odd, Thanks PlayingwithTBI, not sure how that happened but if a Mod can cancel one and combined the two that'd be great.

Sorry

TexSon

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my TBI and tried replacing almost everything including the ECM and it turned out to be the fuel pump. I know, one more thing to check but who knows.