TBI intermittent stumbling/backfiring under load, now idles rough intermittently

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Cliff-notes below. 1995 TBI 5.7L, about 235,000 miles on original motor.

A few weeks ago on the way home from work, my 95 began stumbling/misfiring under load. As long as I stayed under about 1/4 throttle, it was okay. Getting closer to home, it began backfiring through the exhaust. Didn't have time to mess with it then, besides I had another truck ('06 Avalanche) to drive for the time being. The next day, I changed the fuel filter and tried the '95 again. Had no problems for the next two weeks, but I unfortunately had to put the Avalanche in the shop for transmission work during that time.

Now that my other vehicle is the shop for awhile, guess what decides to start f'in up again? While on my lunch break, truck begins misfiring under load again. However, it's not quite as bad as last time. In 4th gear with the TC locked, I could feel a slight miss with a little throttle. But if I hammered the throttle, after a slight hesitation, the truck would come back to life. Truck sat for the rest of the work day, didn't have any issues until about halfway home when it began stumbling again.

I'd guessed that it was safe to rule out a mechanical failure (timing chain, sticking valve, etc.) due to the intermittent nature of the misfiring.

Next day, again, halfway to work the truck begins stumbling again. At this point, I realize the failure is somewhat heat related. After work, truck's running fine again but I stop by O'Reillys and rent a fuel pressure gauge. Good call, because the truck barely makes it home from there, hardly able to do 60mph, backfiring through the exhaust like crazy. Next morning I checked fuel pressure, lowest reading was 11.5psi, highest was 13.5psi. I did replace the fuel pump with a Delphi unit about 30,000miles ago. I would have liked to run the truck for a while with the fuel pressure gauge, but couldn't because the damn gauge kit was so worn and abused it leaked fuel everywhere.

Now considering the fuel pressure seems good and I'm experiencing backfiring thru the exhaust, I'm thinking my problem is ignition related. Pulled all the spark plugs, looked fine although they were showing some wear on the electrodes. Some of them seemed to have some glazing. Pulled the distributor cap, cap and rotor looked fine. I had replaced the spark plugs, wires, cap and rotor about 35,000 miles ago.

Since the issue seemed heat related, my first suspect was the coolant temp sensor, which has never been replaced in the 8 years I've had the truck. I don't really like to throw money/parts at a problem, but it seemed reasonable to do so here. It might be all in my head, but after replacing the sensor, I felt the truck idled better and accelerated slightly better. Unfortunately, the stumble came right back after about 20-30 of driving.

Next suspect was the ignition coil. I had replaced it mistakenly about 25,000 miles ago trying to cure another misfire issue, which turned out to be the EGR. Decided to try yet another coil and replace the spark plugs. Installed the coil first, started the truck to test it. Truck idled great, but I didn't want to drive the truck until I changed the spark plugs.

Once I changed the spark plugs, I restarted the truck. Now it was missing quite a bit during idle. Not horribly bad, but the only time my truck ever idled worse was when the original fuel pump was going out. After the truck ran for a couple of minutes the idle seemed to smooth out. Took the truck out and drove it kinda hard for about an hour. It seems like I've fixed the misfiring issue, but the truck still feels a little weaker than it used to. Also once I got home, again, I experienced a rough idle. I let the truck sit until night so I could maybe see any arcs from the plug wires in the dark. When I tried later, the truck idled just fine and I couldn't see anything.

Any ideas? Did I screw up my plug wires when removing them to change the plugs?

Cliff-notes:
Had intermittent stumbling and backfiring thru exhaust when under load. Fuel pressure checks out, 11.5-13.5 psi. Replaced coolant temp sensor, ignition coil and spark plugs. Stumbling seems to be fixed, but now idles rough intermittently.

Fuel pump replaced about 30,000 miles ago with a Delphi unit.
Spark plug wires (Taylor) and cap & rotor (Accel) replaced about 35,000 miles ago.
EGR valve and EGR solenoid replaced about 25,000 miles ago.
TP sensor replaced about 40,000 miles ago.
O2 sensor replaced about 30,000 miles ago.
IAC valve and TB gasket replaced about 5,000 miles ago.

slippy3002

Master Machinist
Reaction score
Just check to see if your cap is corroded. My truck was doing the exact same thing as you described, but only when there was moisture in the air (rain,snow).

I replaced my cap, rotor, and the wires. This solved the problem.

Sent from Robl@and!

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Could you tell if there was anything in the fuel filter you replaced? Water or other contaminants in fuel can be intermittant.

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Quick question, if the truck is idling and I connect the EGR valve directly to vacuum, the idle should change noticeably right? I tried this today and couldn't really notice a difference. Thinking I may have found my problem. It would be very odd coincidence considering the rough idle occurred immediately after I changed the plugs.

Just check to see if your cap is corroded. My truck was doing the exact same thing as you described, but only when there was moisture in the air (rain,snow).

I replaced my cap, rotor, and the wires. This solved the problem.

Sent from Robl@and!
Already checked the cap and rotor. No corrosion, rust, or cracks whatsoever inside. Rotor had a little wear, but nothing I would believe could cause problems.

Take your ignition module out and have Oreillys test it.
The ignition module looks like it's the original, but I'm under the assumption that whenever they begin to fail, you won't have any ignition at all. As old as the unit is, I might just forgo testing it and put a new AC Delco one in, then keep the old as a spare.

Could you tell if there was anything in the fuel filter you replaced? Water or other contaminants in fuel can be intermittant.
Funny you mention that, I forgot to say that the stumbling issue almost immediately first occurred after I got a fresh tank of fuel. I'm not 100% convinced that's the issue though, since the rough idle began immediately after changing the plugs. I've also gotten two more tanks of gas since then. Fuel filter had around 10000 miles on it, no debris whatsoever within, didn't find any water either.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When the ign module went on mine I thought the same thing. I replaced cap, rotor, coil, plugs, wires, even timing chain and gears. If I would have followed my gut instead of listing to the local Napa teenager behind the counter I would have saved a nice chunk of money.

I took my ign module or and had it tested. 1st test passed with flying colors. 2nd test failed 5 of 7 internal tests.

Make sure they test it atleast twice. also they have to tap on it too

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
When the ign module went on mine I thought the same thing. I replaced cap, rotor, coil, plugs, wires, even timing chain and gears. If I would have followed my gut instead of listing to the local Napa teenager behind the counter I would have saved a nice chunk of money.

I took my ign module or and had it tested. 1st test passed with flying colors. 2nd test failed 5 of 7 internal tests.

Make sure they test it atleast twice. also they have to tap on it too
Damn that sucks. You've got a point. Considering the experiences I've had at work and with owning this truck for eight years, I should know better than to expect a part will only fail a certain way.

Hopefully this weekend I will have time to pull the spark plugs and recheck them. If that doesn't do any good, I'll have the ICM tested. I also have a new set of plug wires on the way, and I will clean up the EGR valve while I'm at it.

Anyone got any thoughts on my EGR dilemma? If I apply vacuum to it while the truck is idling, I should notice a difference in the idle, correct?

thunderstruck

Babuinos Móviles
Reaction score
Good news. Replaced the cap and rotor, plus 8mm Taylor wires. Truck idles great now, and the power I thought it had lost is certainly back. Gotta love it when the solution is simple and cheap.

Also, I learned the hard way that Accel caps and rotors suck. I had bought a new Accel cap and rotor to replace the old Accel set I already had in the truck. The new set was made in China whereas the old set was made in Canada. Build quality had obviously suffered in several ways. Worst was that the cap wouldn't even fit the dizzy! I also noticed that the old rotor didn't even fit all the way on the distributor shaft. It actually wore down the bottom of the cap a little bit, don't know how I missed that earlier.

Luckily I had bought them from O'Riellys and not online, so I exchanged them for a BWD Select set. Build quality was superior to both of the Accel's; fit perfect, stronger rotor spring, brass terminals, and made in the USA.