TBI Block vortec heads NO programing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDBigtime

Reaction score
IM sure this has been asked a thousand times on here, ive been researching and searching but couldnt find the answer i needed so i made this account,
First post,
Ok i have a 88 GMC TBI that is tired as all hell, so i want to put vortec heads on it with a TBI Vortec intake from i believe edlebrock, MY question is........DO I have to program anything if i just use the TBI Throttle body on that intake.......??? Appreciate any info from you fellow Gm Guys.
Thanks
-JD

whatif3387

Reaction score
It will run and drive without a tune, but how well it runs I cant say I needed a tune really bad but I swapped to a 454 tbi and injectors which is a big difference. Some people have done it without a tune but you really wont notice the full performance gain of the vortecs without a proper tune and your fuel mileage may suffer.

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
You can run it untuned, but like said, you need a tune to get the full benefit. Contact brain at tbichips.com for any needed info.

Jdyates also has a build on here as well with it. Very detailed. Check it out.

And I would swap cams to get a little better benefit.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wedropped a stock 97 Vortec 350 into our 89 on the stock tune. It had several flat spots and certainly wasn't right. I did however bump the base timing to seven degrees, did the ultimate throttle body mods and swapped to 180 degree thermostat. It still wasn't perfect but ran a whole lot better. I think the biggest change was from upping the fuel pressure when I did the throttle body mods.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
just swap to the whole vortec 350 swap timing covers, add a carb vortec manifold with a tbi adapter get a tune do exhaust work and call it a tuesday.